Ultimate Subaru Message Board

13 inch tire discussion

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2 yrs later & I'm at 27-28k miles and have had no issues with the Claws. Well worth the $$ spent. Ballpark guess is 30-40℅ tread left. I'll try & measure the /32nds soon

Sorry fellas, haven't gotten a measurement on the tires.......but I did upload an example of their performance

• Thanks 1

for my  daily  driver I use  walmart   douglas  xtra trac  185/70/13 ,  They were  on sale  for   39.00  as of  7/3/2015 ,  but they rip you off 18.00 dollars to install them .  I just  do cash and carry , Take them to a local small tire shop  and for 7:50  each  im in business .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

'83 GL 2wd wagon here.

185/70-13's all 'round for 3 season driving. A pair of WestLakes & a pair of Thunderer's from Les Schwab. Yeah, I know, not matching. It's a 2WD machine.

These are basic, cheap tires that look nearly the same. They are noisy. That's really my only complaint. Wearing just fine. I've gotten 30+ mpg on highway travelin'.

For winter tires, I just installed a set of non-studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7's. 175/70-13's. Found a deal at SimpleTire.

https://simpletire.com/nokian-p175-70r13-t427757-tires?stmodel=hakkapeliitta-7&stcategory=winter&sttype=passenger&gclid=CMiU35z8788CFQMaaQodHjED7Q

They are wonderfully quiet & roll way smoother. A supple feeling tire. The rain performance is fookin' awesome. No pulling or floaty business.

They feel just a wee bit squirmier in the corners than the other tires on tarmac.

RPM's are up just a tick for a given speed. 2800rpm is a GPS 62-63mph.

A few miles on some greasy 32deg cold damp road a couple weeks ago. Seemed stable. Predictable. 

Haven"t put any snow miles in yet. Looks like I'll get a chance in the next couple days. :popcorn:

NE

• 3 weeks later...

We had a great re-tread guy here once. But of course he couldn't compete and didn't have the factory I'd expect the Italians do.

i think I've put about 500 miles on my 78 these past three years total. And I'm not exactly going to be touring the country in it going forward.

• 4 weeks later...

2 yrs later & I'm at 27-28k miles and have had no issues with the Claws. Well worth the $$ spent. Ballpark guess is 30-40℅ tread left. I'll try & measure the /32nds soon

A not-so-happy update... passenger side rear has broken a belt with approx 30-31k miles. The Artic Claws are no longer available thru my tire shop. 4 new Mastercraft ordered for installation tomorrow. I'll keep the other 3 Claws around for spares.