Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sumoco's Radical BRATacular Solid Axle Adventure

sumoco

So I've had this thing for a while now, done some work on it but nothing to extreme. Figured I should start one of these before I start to get crazy on it though.

Couple days after I bought it

98DF3599-99D6-4E9C-9885-EFDF8E982A4D_zps

Going across the country a couple days later

63590684-7620-473D-94C8-589CF0CA5C1B_zps

4521404E-E23E-4D93-89B5-80C8DDFC38B9_zps

F715D4E8-1783-49DF-879C-16615706D86A_zps

I then swapped over my set of re drilled hubs, added some 2 inch spacers, got a new set of tires from the schuwab, found a canopy( which is for sale if anyone is looking ) and jacked my shocks and torsion bar as high as they would go. A temporary fix for the rubbing.

I also added some "sweet" electrical tape racing stripes( I know you're all super jealous of those)

D4E90ADC-FFDF-49F5-A64E-3841054D2C0C_zps

Soon I shall be putting a 6 inch lift, a d/r 5 speed and an ej22.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bring that canopy / topper to Santa Cruz California and I'll buy it!

If I wasn't so busy I would, just to leave Oregon for a couple weeks

Also I picked up some aftermarket bumpers for the brat today for only 40, dude seemed like a rad guy and even offered to help me put them on. Finally have a free day tomorrow so they shall be mounted and properly photographed,

but for now

BE888301-11B6-4C70-8EDF-BAB6199A4829_zps

So I've been seriously considering completely rhino lining my brat, has anyone done this to a Subaru? I know a lot of Tacoma guys do it but wanted some knowledge from a Subaru forum before I actually set out on this mission

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay so never going to tow that far with my brat again, it's a strange feeling getting passed up a hill by a semi truck towing 3 trailers, plus my fans completely burned out their wiring so i was trying my hardest to keep it away from the red line of death, and I made it all the way to scotts driveway before it started whining and i had to shut it off for a few minutes.
Anyway!! I got the lift kit, and lost my phone while venturing in the woods with scott in his sweet chopped up gl wagon, but alas there is a karma god!! scott just messaged me saying he found it and shall mail it to me upon receiving the title that i stupidly forgot. 
Spent a few hours looking at scotts museum of chopped up and lifted subarus (Those cast aluminum lift blocks blew me away scott) drooling and planning my own creation, I'm thinking a nissan transfer case with dual subaru rear differentials to keep the squishiness

• 6 months later...

Got so caught up in my new projects I almost forgot to update this thread.

Broke a bolt taking off the torsion bar ( totally forking sucked, not a fun fix)

350D72E4-DA8F-43E6-AA9A-BC1A5E30D771_zps

Got the brat lifted up ( sorry for the awful picture)

18924AF6-F4E6-48EF-8BEE-400FD004C525_zps

Put a built hi pro 390 in the back of it( let's just say don't do that)

F265E0BE-8E85-452A-8F75-6C8529F143D0_zps

D504BC22-4F0D-4810-9C73-45A3AB1FCD0E_zps

Edited by sumoco
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Finally got some real wheels and tires put on the brat, Also half the weight and a couple inches taller than the previous rims and tires

99604B9C-73AF-4590-A30D-AB1F9FC2731A_zps

60E3752C-7A2C-49A1-8429-F5B29D139788_zps

DDE3BBFB-373B-4094-BE42-86F7D4634312_zps

Still need to bash the corners in a little bit so j can still have full turning abilities

Edited by sumoco

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some real wheels and tires put on the brat, Also half the weight and a couple inches taller than the previous rims and tires

99604B9C-73AF-4590-A30D-AB1F9FC2731A_zps

Somewhat off-topic, but this picture is immediately in front of my house... my garage door is the one on the far right, hidden by the tree and the bed of the Brat. Pretty sure I was outside working on my car when you pulled up.

• Like 1

Somewhat off-topic, but this picture is immediately in front of my house... my garage door is the one on the far right, hidden by the tree and the bed of the Brat. Pretty sure I was outside working on my car when you pulled up.

That's a cool coincidence! I wish the subaru world was this small around here.

• 3 years later...

Damn it's been a while yall. 

Figured I would update this thing since I'm doing some actual work to the BRAT.

Decided to ditch the Subaru engine and transmission part of the BRAT and go full Toyota frame, engine and tranny swap. Still a work in progress and am nowhere near done with placement or framework, but here are some pics from today.

Screenshot_20181206-093516_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20181206-093532_Instagram.jpg

Edited by sumoco
  • Like 1

• sumoco changed the title to Sumoco's Radical BRATacular Solid Axle Adventure