Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82 head bolt stuck in head

While taking off the passenger head, the center bolt was stuck on there like no other. I got the bolt unscrewed and the head off (didnt damage the block threads thank goodness), but the bolt is stuck inside the head. It rotates both directions but wont come out. Any suggestions to get it out? And should i replace that bolt or clean it up really well once i get it out?

Personally i'd probably use a rubber mallet to get it started and maybe a punch to drive the bolt through. I wouldn't force it to much, but It's just grime and corrosion on the bolt itself. As mentioned, PB blaster or any penetrating oil would help.

Edited by Ibreakstuff

For fair warning, do your best to not mangle your current bolt.

Buying new bolts is difficult and good luck finding an 11x1.1.25 bolt anywhere but custom made.

Deep creep by seafoam is an incredible cleaner and rust remover and a great penetrating oil.

If you have a drill and a socket adapter, you can spin the bolt at high speed while keeping it coated in a rust killer to loosen up the gunk.

And if it still won't come out, use a piece of sheetmetal to push the bolt out while spinning it with the drill.

That should minimize any damage to the bolt and the head.

Just don't get too crazy with the drill...

Twitch

if replacing is an option, you generally should always use new bolts for anything with a sensitive torque requirement.  most bolts do have a torque requirement even though we don't bother with them, but head bolts are some that I would always replace if possible.  they are designed to stretch a certain amount when you torque them and they never stretch the same again after that.

this is a general engine repair philosophy, not something Subaru specific.

if replacing is an option, you generally should always use new bolts for anything with a sensitive torque requirement.  most bolts do have a torque requirement even though we don't bother with them, but head bolts are some that I would always replace if possible.  they are designed to stretch a certain amount when you torque them and they never stretch the same again after that.

this is a general engine repair philosophy, not something Subaru specific.

Incorrect, the EA82 head bolts are NOT torque to yield.. zero plastic transformation. They do not stretch and can be reused if they are not damaged. You should clean the threads and use oil or a proper fastener assembly lube on the threads and both sides of the washer when torquing.

Edited by Ibreakstuff

I thought, technically speaking, all threads on all bolts stretch whole you are tightening them....

Bolts are elastic, every fastener has an elastic limit or its yield point. When a fastener is loaded past its yield point, some of the elasticity is permanently lost. But if not torqued to yield and the load on a fastener is released, the fastener will spring back to its original length.

Our head bolts are not torque to yield, so they are not reaching the point of plastic transformation unless you are over torquing them considerably.

Bolts are elastic, every fastener has an elastic limit or its yield point. When a fastener is loaded past its yield point, some of the elasticity is permanently lost. But if not torqued to yield and the load on a fastener is released, the fastener will spring back to its original length.

Our head bolts are not torque to yield, so they are not reaching the point of plastic transformation unless you are over torquing them considerably.

Oh how I am enjoying the irony of your username and posting about thread bolts failing...

Twitch

Edited by Twitch de la Brat
  • Like 1

Oh how I am enjoying the irony of your username and posting about thread bolts failing...

Twitch

My whole life revolves around the same irony lol. Maybe when I am older it will change to Ifixstuff, but I'm still learning new ways to break stuff.

Lol!

That was a good explanation though, ibreakstuff, thank you.

No problem! It actually hurts my redneck soul to use so many big words. I think all this california book learning is getting to me.