Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gearbox Swap, EA into Baja with EJ?

GatorIsaac

I think the better question here is why. Why use a 30 year old transmission, why go through all the custom work like the engine adapter, redrilled flywheels, weaker clutch, custom made driveshaft, hard to find/custom front axles, swapped rear axles, custom shift linkage.

Why not go for a ej dual range transmission and eliminate all the custom made BS and have a transmission that you can find upgraded clutches for and use most if not all of your original parts with.

I posed the question because, while I'm a good 'do it your self' guy, I only knew of the EA having dual range. This Baja is my first Subaru and I've found this gearbox to be the weak link. In 270k miles I've had to replace the center diff, the clutch, then the entire gearbox, and now another clutch.

I use the thing off road for hunting and find 1st to be too fast requiring too much clutch. The lower split would be more desirable. Can you point me to the right terms with which to begin my learning and hunt for a dual range EJ?

Thanks a bunch!

270k is a good haul for your transmission honestly. The transmission I used originally in my manual swap on my legacy gave up a bearing at about 280k. Most of what you've replaced is probably from normal wear, especially the clutch as the newer generation subarus make more power and weigh substantially more than the older generations did. So they will wear more quickly than one may be use to if coming from the old school, that also means the old school would wear that much faster if used with newer vehicles.

I've ran across some dual range ej transmissions on eBay, when using a broad search such as "Subaru manual transmission" just you'll probably have to click on a bunch of the auctions but they will be in there. A lot of the sellers don't know the difference in the transmissions so you'll want to look over the pictures and verify the actual item shown is being sold.

• Like 1

Yes can be done easy but won't hold up too well to 2.5 power for the long haul.

but if you want to do it require adapter plate, modified crossmember, redrilled flywheel, and custom length driveline and shifter....not too hard really.

• 2 months later...