Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 99 obs AT and when I first got it the cruise control worked when I jiggled the selector switch, it then would turn itself off after a month of having it, then a couple months later nothing.  But I didn't mind.  I saw the resistance through the steering column was a little higher than stock but just went without.  Now my horn went out as well and it isn't the relay.  I know a lot of people say clock spring or roll connector but are these the same things and if so, are they for more than just the air bag as I have been led to believe?  Any help would be greatly appreciated as I can't pass inspection without the horn. 

Fairly easy to test the clock spring. Black 6 pin plug under the dash running up by the column with 3 or 4 wires in it. The dark green/black stripe is 12v for the horn and cruise switch, and the other two are accel/decel command wires for the cruise module.

Check for 12v on the dark green/black wire with key On.

Check for 12v on the other two while pressing the cruise lever up/down.

The next part requires removal of the airbag on the steering wheel. Disconnect the battery negative and wait ten minutes.

Remove the airbag module from the wheel by loosening the torx screws on each side. One per side at about 9&3 o clock. There is a small access hole on either side of the wheel.

Unhook the yellow airbag plug by pressing and sliding the green lock tab then the plug will pull apart.

Check the same color wires inside the steering wheel for the voltages from above. If you have low or no voltage on the dark green/black wire the clockspring is bad.

So a little back story, I never had any problems with my horn untill about a month ago.  My cruise had gone out a while ago, but when was the first I had heard about me not having a working horn? when I took it for inspection. And what do I find under the dash? An unplugged horn. Isn't it great to live in a world where everyone so so trustworthy!?  :angry: Anyways the cruise still isnt working but It's something more than a clock spring.  I posted on here before about it and the resistance for the clockspring checked out.  It was a little off but not much. No biggy though. Thanks for your help.