Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 2000 Subaru Legacy GT broke down the other day and I got it torn apart today and found I spun a crank shaft bearing. I know the right way to fix it would be to rebuild the entire motor, but the car has over 300k miles on it and im not sure if I want to do a complete rebuild. My options are:

Do a complete Rebuild.

Buy a used motor for $1100.

Sell car as is.

or Only rebuild the bottom end. 

Just want to get some opinions on what to do, im leaning towards sell as is or only rebuild the bottom end. 

What do you think?

Subaru's are generally not cost or time effective to rebuild.  If you have gobs of time and like to learn/tinker - then do it.  If not, don't. 

10 years ago when I had three less kids and lots more time I'd do it.  Right now time is way too valuable for it to be worth my time when there are other options that are reasonable.

I'd probably buy a good block and bolt the existing heads to it.  Nearly any year EJ25 block can work (make sure to use proper headgasket) so that expands your options/reduces cost.

www.car-part.com

I have a good EJ25D block with 135,000 miles if you're around the north east or south east.

Edited by grossgary

Never worked on the Subie engines, but I did a lot of other makes.  If the car is in your future for a few more years I would go with the used motor with crank journals plasti gauged and bearings replaced.  Then the head gasket, since that seems to be a big question mark with the H4 s and the timing belt.

If it's more of a get by for now fix, I would get the used engine and put in it.

with crank journals plasti gauged and bearings replaced.

as a newbie to subies,

you probably don't know that you can not do this easily.

unlike a straight 4 or a V6 or V8,

you can not open the bottom and access the bearings.

you have to split the block to access the bearings.

they are the very last thing to come apart.