Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Continuing to rehab my new 97 Impreza Outback (159K miles) and was trying to get behind the crank sprocket to replace the front seal and re-seal the oil pump.  I get the sprocket to move forward but it keeps snagging right at the end of the shaft. 

I move it far enough forward to see the seal behind it is brown which I believe indicates its been replaced as the cam seals I removed are black.  Unfortunately in trying to pry off the sprocket I snapped two of the four tabs and still unable to remove it.

My question is by snapping the tabs am I committed to removing/replacing the sprocket or can I leave it on cross my fingers and hope the seal never leaks.

If I have to get it off, any ideas how?  I'm not seeing anything obvious that would cause it to hang up.

Thanks

If you broke the tabs you need to remove it. The crank position sensor has to count those tabs to figure ignition and fuel injection timing. If any are missing it loses the sequence and you'll get a no-start condition.

The ones that I've done take some wiggling and a little shot of PB but usually slide off without a puller. Check the end of the crank for burrs or nicks. Also if the key slot is still on make sure it isn't chewed up. If you find any rough spots smooth them out with some sand paper or emory cloth.

Thanks.  I figured as much.

I was able to pull the key out with a pair of vise grips so it now spins freely on the shaft but still snagging up.  Lightly filed the edge of the shaft assuming it gummed up or slightly out of round.  Still no luck.  Will keep at it.