Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 4 spd, to EA82 5 spd ftw

spazomatic

Are you driving an older sube with a 4 speed manual?

If so, then whatever it is you are doing at the moment, put it down and go put a 5 speed in your car right now!

Took mine out to stretch its legs last night; i have to say that this is by far the best modification i have done to this car so far. I thought the 4 speed was okay, i tolerated it alright and wasnt worried about it...figured id just upgrade once the ol' 4 speed went belly up. And thats what i did.

But driving the car now with the improved gear spread is so much better. Words cant express how nice it is to have gear ratios that actually put the engines RPMs where they need to be!

Had i realized how great an improvement it would be, it wouldve been one of the 1st things i did. Im not even kidding.

Do yourself a favor and make it happen!

• Like 1

Are you driving an older sube with a 4 speed manual?

If so, then whatever it is you are doing at the moment, put it down and go put a 5 speed in your car right now!

Took mine out to stretch its legs last night; i have to say that this is by far the best modification i have done to this car so far. I thought the 4 speed was okay, i tolerated it alright and wasnt worried about it...figured id just upgrade once the ol' 4 speed went belly up. And thats what i did.

But driving the car now with the improved gear spread is so much better. Words cant express how nice it is to have gear ratios that actually put the engines RPMs where they need to be!

Had i realized how great an improvement it would be, it wouldve been one of the 1st things i did. Im not even kidding.

Do yourself a favor and make it happen!

You are SO right with this one.

An EA82 5spd crossmember can be modified to fit were the 4spd one would bolt up.

Basically you have to cut the ends off....narrowing it by about 4"

Then weld on plates with 2 holes each side to mount to the 4spd crossmembers location........done.

I ussually make and mount the 2 plates to the body.......then jack the cut crossmember up against them where it needs to sit and then tack weld......remove and final weld, reinstall.....

In my opinion easier than modifying the 4spd crossmember and mounts.

Edited by Gloyale
  • Like 2

In my opinion easier than modifying the 4spd crossmember and mounts.

Well in my case, i didnt have a 5spd crossmember to use. I usually make all my own mods, but in this case i really just didnt feel like it to be honest. I have irons in too many fires really, so didnt have a whole helluvalot of time to mess around with it. That, and i still need to replace my mig welder that went belly up several months back. So many excuses!

And it doesnt get much easier than cleaning the parts and shipping them out with a check! Maybe im just getting lazy(er).

But Gloyale, that does sound like a solid, simpler way to go about it

Edited by spazomatic

its making me rethink the transmissions i have in other vehicles too. 

the old NP435 in my beater Dodge could be upgraded to an NV4500 (the 3-4 shift on the 435 is a stupid long stretch)

I could replace the C4 in my old bronco with a ZF or NV3500. (3 spd automatic to 5 spd manual) 

damned snowball effect is gonna be the death of me. 

I have too many projects :wacko:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So I got a little confused I have an 83 brat (4 speed) and I want to put the tranny of my 87 gl base (5 speed) what would I have to do? and just curious here but could I put Mr brats d/r on the speed tranny?

First step; get a hold of Jerry (bratsrus1). Im sure he'd be happy to help you out.

The kit he puts together is by far the least amount of work to get it done.

Jerry is a wealth of information, a nice guy and fun to talk to, too.

You'll need:

ea82 clutch disk

Ea81 pressure plate and release bearing

Custom length rear driveshaft (i think...mines a wagon so i did)

No flywheel modifications, uses the stock clutch cable.

its making me rethink the transmissions i have in other vehicles too. 

the old NP435 in my beater Dodge could be upgraded to an NV4500 (the 3-4 shift on the 435 is a stupid long stretch)

I could replace the C4 in my old bronco with a ZF or NV3500. (3 spd automatic to 5 spd manual) 

damned snowball effect is gonna be the death of me. 

I have too many projects :wacko:

The difference is that a 5 speed DR is cheap compared to a subaru.A NV4500 is the exact opposite of cheap at roughly ~$1000-1500 + 700 for the core.Auto to manual swap isn't easy or cheap either.

First step; get a hold of Jerry (bratsrus1). Im sure he'd be happy to help you out.

The kit he puts together is by far the least amount of work to get it done.

Jerry is a wealth of information, a nice guy and fun to talk to, too.

You'll need:

ea82 clutch disk

Ea81 pressure plate and release bearing

Custom length rear driveshaft (i think...mines a wagon so i did)

No flywheel modifications, uses the stock clutch cable.

To use an EA82 5spd, he will need at very least an EA82 Disc, PP, and Throwout (ea81 throwout is too small for EA82 PP).  May be used with EA81 flywheel, but starter may/will need shimmed out.  Not ideal.

Much better to use Full EA82 clutch kit.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 1984 EA81T. It was an automatic push button 4wd. I'm almost finished with swapping in an EA82 dual range 5 speed manual and I have many more plans for the little wagon. I don't know everything about subarus but if anyone has questions about my build just send me a pm.