Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New clutch. No pedal. What gives?

So amid the re-sealing of my 1985 brat I decided to replace the clutch. It's a factory Subaru 225mm 21 spline count. Replaced the pilot bearing and TO bearing, as well. Now there's no pedal.

Clutch disk was installed exactly like the old one was, and is what FSM diagrams depict. Cable worked fine on last clutch. Pilot is installed flush with flywheel. TO bearing is on the only way it will go. Fork is on the pivot... Bent fork?!?! I don't know. I just dropped the engine in last night (2am) and I'm not too inclined to pull it back out. But if I need to; I need to know.

Ask me all the questions in the world. I really need this fixed as it has to go completely* back together so the city does flip out.

Thank, guys

OK, cable off the fork end, pull the rubber dust boot off and look down inside - you can see quite a bit with some good lighting.

Can you work the fork back and forward to see the TO bearing touching clutch fingers?

Uh oh, did someone sell you a 1985 EA82 225mm clutch kit ? no, TO bearing would look different, friction plate would not mate up ..new clutch kit or components put together to make up clutch assy ??

Flywheel machined ? retain the 23mm step or did it get a 1985 EA82 21mm step ? I was still able to drive EA81 with EA82 pressure plate, just got gear crunches :)

so, get someone to work clutch pedal inside and see how much cable pull you get at clutch end, think it is 16mm travel for EA81, and 25mm for EA82