Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for EA82 4wd Auto Tranny Swap Tips

According to any repair manuals I have seen they say you need to pull the engine and the transmission together. Now c'mon I know thats not true is it? Anyone have some tips for a fast and easy, relative of course, auto tranny pull and install. just pulling one and putting in another one. Thanks!

GoatBoy

I made a bar with the holes spaced just right to put in place of the dog bone. You bolt it in and it angles the tranny down just right to allow a tranny jack to grab it nad back it right outa there.

I can't see how you could ge them out bolted together. I just did a auto to manual conversion, if this is what you're doing I got some advice.

unbolt the bellhounsing. take off the starter and pitch bar. remover the rubber cooling lines from the tranny end. disconnect the speedo cable and electricals. unboly the torque converter bolts, four each 12mm thru the timing window. you can take off the pitch bar mount to use a socket, or just use a box end.

i use a prybar top separate the torque converter from the flex plate, so that it stays with the tranny and prevents a mess.

get under the car. dranin the ATF. remove the y pipe for access. unbolt the shifter nut from the shifter itself. leave it connected to the tranny end unbolt the tranny crossmember bolts.

lower the tranny down with a jack.

if you jack up the SIDE of the car iy will give you more room to work.