Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 CLUTCH NIGHTMARE

Ok, so I am replacing the clutch on my 1986 BRAT GL and I have run into a load of problems. First, I assumed the engine and tranny were factory 86 since the car had 1 previous owner and only has 113k but found that this was not the case when I tried to install the 86 clutch kit. After playing musical clutch parts I have learned that you can have 3 completely different throw out bearings and clutch discs from 82-86 and I have finally narrowed mine down to 83/84. I finally have the correct disc and throw out bearing after ordering the kit for an 83 but the pressure plate does not fit. Were there any differences in flywheels as well? The pressure plate that came with the kit has these "ears" that will not fit in my flywheel so I can't even bolt it on. I am suspecting that the kit came with the wrong pressure plate but would like some advice before I run back to autozone AGAIN and end up looking like an idiot. I have attached pictures that should help illustrate my discrepancy. The first picture is the old pressure plate, the second picture is the new pressure plate, and the third picture is both pressure plates stacked face to face for comparison. Thanks for any help!

post-23080-0-18855800-1408676887_thumb.jpg

post-23080-0-91864900-1408676923_thumb.jpg

All 1978-1987 Brats take the same 200MM disc, pressure plate and throw out bearing. All listings on Daiken(Exidy), Parnut and OE cataloging show 1 part number for each. The Brat uses a 200mm clutch which would normally "only" be in a 2wd car. The 4wd cars use larger diameter clutches. Some one may be looking up a 4wd application, but the Brat does not use a "4wd" clutch. The larger clutch will not fit inside the smaller bell housing used in the Brat.

Something you will learn about the Brats is the catalog is not always right. You need to order a clutch pack for an 84 Brat. There was a flywheel change in 84 though I don't know if the pressure plate size changed but the disc didn't. I do know that all the Gen2 Brat clutches I've done, I've always ordered for 84 and never had an issue.

The kit I ordered was for an 84 BRAT. Everything is correct including the surface diameter of the pressure plate but the little "ears" on it are all that is keeping me from moving forward. I just ordered a kit from Oreilly's and it should be here tomorrow. We'll see if the pressure plat in that kit looks any different.

All 1978-1987 Brats take the same 200MM disc, pressure plate and throw out bearing. All listings on Daiken(Exidy), Parnut and OE cataloging show 1 part number for each. The Brat uses a 200mm clutch which would normally "only" be in a 2wd car. The 4wd cars use larger diameter clutches. Some one may be looking up a 4wd application, but the Brat does not use a "4wd" clutch. The larger clutch will not fit inside the smaller bell housing used in the Brat.

This is BS.

Starting in late 83 the brat got the larger 225mm clutch disc.  Still with 21 splines (7/8ths")

The bellhousings are all the same.....the 2 types can be swapped back and forth........just must use the matching size flywheel and PP and disc.

TimberTiger...that PP is wrong, shouldn't have those ears.

• Like 1

Brat uses the 225mm disc.

225mm (8 7/8") disc
21 spline, 22mm shaft

Here are some part #'s of what would work on the Brat.

Duralast NU31143 (What I used)
RHINOPAC/WORLD CAR Part # 15003v
BRUTE POWER Part # 92225
BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0619131
ACDELCO Part # 381613
LUK Part # 15013 
Sachs KF599-01

should be plenty of posts in here you could search from last 12 months on enough info. I have had both 200mm and 225mm clutches in my GEN2 Brumbies/BRATs. My made in 84 possibly for 85MY was a 200mm but had engine change so no idea if it was originally 225mm

Agree with skishop entirely with listing accuracy - even got some EA82 timing belts - printed on the box to suit Brumby :D

The EA81 4WD clutch forks were light bluey greeny colour too until somone decided to paint them black to match rocker covers change to black . Not sure if the colour change of the forks signified change from 200mm to 225mm ?

Ok so I picked up the new kit from Oreilly's this morning and it fits perfect. Here is what I've learned according to the catalogs:

81/82 BRAT

RELEASE BEARING
Bearing Inner Race Bore Diameter (in):     1.377999
Bearing Outer Race Outside Diameter (in):     2.228

CLUTCH DISK
outside diameter 7 7/8"
spline inside diameter 7/8"
spline count 21

83/84 BRAT

RELEASE BEARING
Bearing Inner Race Bore Diameter (in):     1.5748
Bearing Outer Race Outside Diameter (in):     2.539

CLUTCH DISK
Disc outside diameter 8 7/8"
spline inside diameter 7/8 "
spline count 21

85/86 BRAT

RELEASE BEARING
Sealed Self-Aligning type
Bearing Inner Race Bore Diameter (in):     1.305099    

CLUTCH DISK
spline inside diameter 1"
spline count 24

85/86 BRAT

RELEASE BEARING

Sealed Self-Aligning type

Bearing Inner Race Bore Diameter (in):     1.305099    

CLUTCH DISK

spline inside diameter 1"

spline count 24

This is incorrect.  None of the 4spds ever had a 1" (24 spline) input.  the 83+ Ea81 4wds all us the 225mm(8 7/8ths) with the 21 spline(7/8ths) input shaft.

EA82's started in the US in 85.......that's why the listings get screwy in the overlapping years from 85-87 (89 for hatches).

the listing in the catalog must be for an ea82. I think you're right. The catalog must not take into consideration that the BRAT didn't change with everything else.

Excactly.

One reason I can see is that subaru Imported ALL of their cars in 85,86 as "L" models   specifically "DL" or "GL"  or "GL-10" models...........All of them........XT's, Brats, hatches......and EA82 wagons, coupes and sedans.......all technically are "DL" or "GL" or "GL-10" primarily........then submodeled as XT, or Brat, or wagon.....whatever.  And to top it off both of the engines types that SHOULD be able to be used to identify each platform.......are 1.8 with the same bore/stroke so there is very little distinction in the catalogs.......sometimes they will ask OHV or OHC?.......which is like asking EA81 or EA82?

In 87 the XT became it's own model..so parts get SLIGHTLY easier to find for them..but that's about it.

So that leaves 85,86 as the WORST possible years to look up parts for.........so many variations........2 completley different 1.8 engines........4 different fueling variations..........I don't know what I would do without my factory 85 parts catalog :)

• Like 1

yeah the 24 splines stood out as wrong ! You only found that detail in some records, not actually supplied to you then ?

The same listing parts confusion exists down under with after market stuff. Genuine is no hassle :)

there is one measure not included in parts listings, but helps to decipher out of unidentified used clutch pressure plates kicking about - it is the size of the hole in the doughnut of the finger tips amongst the mix of 200 and 225mm stuff.

Good to see you are sorted for a while.Maybe post up the succesful brand and part number and diameter of your clutch in one sentence?

Edited by jono

Jono, I actually bought the kit for the 86 originally and it came with the 24 spline. Lesson learned. Here is the link for the clutch I ended up going with:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PTQ5/KF47501/01351.oap?year=1984&make=Subaru&model=Brat&vi=1267725&ck=Search_01351_1267725_2532&categoryRedirect=01351&pt=01351&ppt=C0015

Updated specs to avoid future confusion of anybody coming across this thread:

81/82 BRAT

RELEASE BEARING

Bearing Inner Race Bore Diameter (in):     1.377999

Bearing Outer Race Outside Diameter (in):     2.228

CLUTCH DISK

outside diameter 7 7/8"

spline inside diameter 7/8"

spline count 21

83-86 BRAT

RELEASE BEARING

Bearing Inner Race Bore Diameter (in):     1.5748