Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is a "split repair flange?

I saw reference to such an item in a thread about repairing an exhaust system where the flange on the catalytic converter that mates with the donut gasket has rusted to the point of uselessness.  Sorry, but I am not familiar with the "split repair flange".  Is that a technical term?

• Thanks Cortland Dave.  Interesting...  Trying to get the full picture in my head.  So, you would use one of these if the flange on the front of the pipe that attaches to rear of the cat was shot?  And the split fange would clamp around the pipe just behind where the flange was?  If I am on the right track so far, then how would the donut work to seal the joint if the flange on the front of the mating pipe is shot?

Mike V.

these essentially repairs the "ears" and bolt holes only - not the sealing surface. like this:

http://g35driver.com/forums/attachments/intake-exhaust/138657d1307119502-easy-exhaust-flange-repair-05-sedan-muffler-mid-pipe-saves-img_2707.jpg

the donut gaskets are thick and robust - so they can seal badly rusted parts fairly well.

but if the front of the pipe is gone - then the basic split flanges won't work.

there are quite a few varities i'd look online and see what you can find that might work. 

another easy solution is to get a piece of pipe expanded on both ends with the ID large enough to accomodate the OD of the original pipe - so the original pipe just slides into it.

cut the flange end off both the converter and the rear pipe

slide this pipe in between them.  ends can come expanded or just do the free loaner tool and get a pipe expander to expand the ends - they are heavy duty to work with though.

keep the cut out of the original exhaust as small as possible and it'll only work if it's straight with no bends to manuever.

likewise a shop can weld in a similar patch for $35 - $70.  takes them 15 minutes and almost no materials.

Also called a "flange repair kit" some places.  Advance Auto and Napa have them

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/walker-flange-repair-kit-35455/18370449-P?searchTerm=clamp+exhaust

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Exhaust-Flange/_/R-EXT35455_0431815498

This video is a good example of someone using a split flange to repair the connection after the cat:

• 4 years later...

How do I get a conceptionally different flange tested.  I used it on my exhaust system because of repeated leaking at the flange.  I named it C Flange Bracket. I was asked by a Subaru owner if he could get one for his vehicle.  He did not know the dimensions.   Im having difficulty posting images so excuse me using link.  cynthromeproducts.com

C Flange bracket preinstall.png

C flange bracket installed w flange.png

4F3-T bar w pipe.png

C flange FIG 1+2 REFERENCESa.jpg

Edited by JoePublicVA
downloaded images