Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 SUS Died with a bang, what to do?

You don't have to remove the radiator, but some people do for the comfort of knowing they won't put a hole in it if the wrench slips.

You will need to remove the intake manifold, and at least unbolt the exhaust y-pipe. Last time I did one in the car I pulled the exhaust studs out of the head and didnt drop the y-pipe at all.

You may need to unbolt the lower motor mounts and lift the engine on the side where you're pulling the head.

Also need to remove the front timing covers and the timing belt.

Ok so sort of what we expected but not sure if we want to go that far vs hope someone wants to buy it and bring it back to life. We're ordering the new one this week because even if we got it going, it'd be to trade in and what we'd make on the trade in  vs what would be put into it plus our time, probably doesn't make much sense.

used to work for a car dealership. They give squat for trade ins. You'll get more out of a private sale with a bad motor than trading it in with a good motor. Dealers only buy at a price in which they can make $$$ by selling the car wholesale. Usually they just send it to an auction and make sure that they come away with $500-$1000 profit. Either fix it to drive it/sell locally or sell it locally as is, but upping trade in value on a 15 year old car will be a waste of time and money.

Yep, we ordered the new one last nite with no trade. Just not worth it for us to mess with it. Thought I had a bite on it but the guy wanted to give me something ridiculously low (even after I came down in price) and then when I wouldn't go lower told me he had to come to wherever I was (Craig's list ad tells where I am) and haul it away. Yeah not exactly my problem when you're shopping for a car that's advertised as "bad engine, doesn't run".

Yep, we ordered the new one last nite with no trade. Just not worth it for us to mess with it. Thought I had a bite on it but the guy wanted to give me something ridiculously low (even after I came down in price) and then when I wouldn't go lower told me he had to come to wherever I was (Craig's list ad tells where I am) and haul it away. Yeah not exactly my problem when you're shopping for a car that's advertised as "bad engine, doesn't run".

Yea, I have sold several cars via Craig's List. Seems like there is always someone, who wants to make a low ball offer, or if the car is more valuable, then there are the scammers to deal with. However, if you are patient with Criag's list, and renew your listing frequently, you will eventually be able to sell the car. You may also want to consider listing the car in "car for sale," category,  and also listing it in the "car parts for sale" category on Craig's list.

Curious to learn what new car you ordered??

I am sort of hesitant to put it on the car parts section because I don't want to have to rip it apart and not sure I want people coming here and picking it apart either. But I'm renewing it each week so it gets back to the top, maybe I should do it more often if they allow that.

Ordered a 2015 Legacy Limited with the 2.5 engine.

I am sort of hesitant to put it on the car parts section because I don't want to have to rip it apart and not sure I want people coming here and picking it apart either. But I'm renewing it each week so it gets back to the top, maybe I should do it more often if they allow that.

Ordered a 2015 Legacy Limited with the 2.5 engine.

Your new 2015 will be a real nice car. Enjoy!!

Good tip on the car parts but not posting, just might do that.

And the 2015 should be great. Amazing what all the new "fancy" stuff it has :) It'll be my husbands. He took my 99 back in late 2010 when I got a Honda Pilot tho I can easily see me going back to a Subbie when I'm done with the Pilot, and since I tend to keep cars a long time, it might be the 2015 Subbie that I end up in when the time comes :)

• 2 weeks later...

Most likely is an oiling issue to the cam on the bad side which cause it to seize in the head and did a "stop NOW' thing on the engine.  Valves stop, collide with pistons, resulting damage everywhere.

Point of advice: at this point, you have metal pieces all through your engine. No matter what engine you go with, your coolant crossover pipe and your intake manifold need to be professionally purged or you will suck small pieces back down into the new one which will destroy it.

• 2 weeks later...

Oddly no metal shavings of any kind came out when the oil was drained so we're still perplexed. Got the 2015 yesterday. Sweet car! The voice commands do way more than just dial someone like on my Honda Pilot which I wasn't expecting. The 99 is still for sale.

• Like 1