Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Window rain deflectors for 1996 Legacy Outback Wagon

I hope this is an easy topic for someone out there. I tried J.C. Whitney, a variety of dealers, E-Bay, Amazon with no luck. Most only sell deflectors from 2005 on up and don't offer to pass to their technical folks. One snide jerk actually had the nerve to tell me to check the junk yards?! I don't smoke, but I do like to leave the windows cracked on hot/rainy days and you just can't do that without the covers over the windows!

Can't get them. These cars have just been out of the production loop for too long.

Subaru used to offer rain guards for these but they discontinued them years ago. You might get lucky and find someone online selling an old set, or like that other snide jerk said, find a set in a junkyard. But finding new set in a store or online just won't happen.

My OBW has them, had no idea how rare they were when I bought the car. I've had several tempting offers. To be honest, you're not missing much. Due to the pillarless doors, they can't cover any part of the window so the most guard you get is the small overhang. Can only keep the windows down maybe half an inch in the rain. If you're used to rain deflectors on other cars with actual doorframes, you'll probably be disappointed. I'd have to agree with the snide jerk- check junkyards (they're not that bad) or get on eBay daily. They're out there, and the only people selling them know how hard they are to find and will ask a pretty penny for them.

or get on eBay daily. They're out there, and the only people selling them know how hard they are to find and will ask a pretty penny for them.

Of course, you can save a search on ebay and have it send you e-mails automatically when certain things are listed.  You have to play around so you don't get too many things mailed to you or it will be hard to sift through the listings, but with a good search you can usually keep it manageable and watch for things.