Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Two-row radiator heads up for EA82

Do NOT be fooled and order the two-row radiator listed on the O'Reilly web site, 

Murray Heat Transfer - Radiator Part # 433698

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MHT1/433698/01386.oap?year=1988&make=Subaru&model=GL&vi=1268546&ck=Search_radiator_1268546_4459&keyword=radiator

Though listed as fitting the 3rd gen DL/GL/RX/Loyale, it in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM will fit.

Not the upper bolt points, the bottom rubber isolator mounts, or the lower radiator hose opening are anywhere near correct, and there is no upside-down smile cutout in the front edge of the bottom U-channel for the core to fit over the hump in the car core support. I have no idea what this radiator is actually for, but it certainly isn't for our cars. Will be returning and calling O'Reilly to have this item de-listed.

It could possibly be modified to work, but by the time you're done you could've just had a radiator shop custom build one.

• Like 1

When I recently rebuilt my EA82, I went to NAPA amd tried (in vain) to get a dual-row that would fit my GL wagon, I tried all the tips and tricks posted here on year/model/turbo/automatic/GL-10/etc. and went through FIVE different radiators that were listed as being the item, but turned out to be single row when actually received. I finally picked the largest and best quality single row available, cost around $200... but it's been WELL worth it so far. Since my rebuild, I've NEVER seen my temp. gauge go over the halfway point, even in 110 degree weather stopped in traffic for 20 minutes.

Still wish I could find a good dusl-row, though... for peace of mind if nothing else.

WOW, I have 2 brand new radiators sitting in my garage.. Both murray 433698. I pulled one out and you are absolutely correct!?! How did I not find this out sooner. Its probably too late for me to return mine, so I will mod mine to fit. The core itself fits nicely, but the upper and lower mount holes are way off.

Edit: Looking at it further, I think a little dremel work will make it fit. I'll have to fab up some rubber mounts for the bottom and trim the upper mount. The gates lower radiator hose seems to fit also. The biggest problem will be cap is not offset.

Edited by Ibreakstuff

That part number for the Spectra radiator brings up the bone-stock, single-row with plastic end tanks part that was originally in my GL. With a pathetically thin single row....

If you search back in this forum, the spectra part# is listed in multiple places. I have no idea if it is actually a 2 row or not. That is the biggest flaw of the internet, one error listed as fact and is recorded til the end of time. Never trust the pictures shown for parts either.

The problem is that the only cars that came stock with a dual core rad were turbo and automatic, so fairly rare. I believe this is the reason we have 2 different water pumps lengths too.

The problem is that the only cars that came stock with a dual core rad were turbo and automatic, so fairly rare. I believe this is the reason we have 2 different water pumps lengths too.

This isn't accurate.  I have a Manual trans, non-turbo XT with the original radiator and it's a 2 core.

The water pump lengths haven nothing to do with radiator thickness.........either length pump ends up with the pulley and fan at the same distance from the motor.....it's just the mounting style of the clutch fan the varies so length of pump is changed to accomodate but either length pump with the CORRECT matching pulley will end up the same distance from radiator.

• Like 1

This isn't accurate.  I have a Manual trans, non-turbo XT with the original radiator and it's a 2 core.

The water pump lengths haven nothing to do with radiator thickness.........either length pump ends up with the pulley and fan at the same distance from the motor.....it's just the mounting style of the clutch fan the varies so length of pump is changed to accomodate but either length pump with the CORRECT matching pulley will end up the same distance from radiator.

We were talking about 3rd gen EA82's... DL/GL/RX/Loyale. Does the XT rad fit? In your infinite wisdom, do you have a magic part number that will solve all of our problems?

Thanks for clearing up why we have the short/long water pump!

Edited by Ibreakstuff

Well.....the XT is an EA82 platform car.  And often parts for them get grouped in as they were technically part of the DL/GL series.

The XT radiator is very close.  could be made to fit pretty easily but not ideal.

I do not have a good part # for the dual core radiator.  From the searching I've done, the aftermarket has superseded to a 1 row, aluminum radiator......that supposedly has more cooling capacity than the OE 2 row, brass radiator.

From the searching I've done, the aftermarket has superseded to a 1 row, aluminum radiator......that supposedly has more cooling capacity than the OE 2 row, brass radiator.

This is my understanding as well, any aftermarket listing for the 2 row radiator is incorrect and when the part arrives it will be 1 row only (although mine did come in brass at least).

This is my understanding as well, any aftermarket listing for the 2 row radiator is incorrect and when the part arrives it will be 1 row only (although mine did come in brass at least).

My experience seems to concur. Two row radiators don't seem to be available... at least not easily.

The brz rads don't just bolt up, the mounts top and bottom are wrong.. But the dimensions are close enough to modify for fitment.

Advanced Auto also lists the 433698 rad, I emailed them and said it actually doesn't fit.. Just got a reply that says "This radiator is an exact fit for a 1988 Subaru RX.".. Apparently not paid enough to read.