Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 2003 outback has a faulty headgasket but still drives. I am not losing coolant nor is the coolant/water mixing with the oil.  There is very little drip on my garage floor of oil but very, vey little over a long period of time. Sometimes I can get away with taking it a few miles and other times it registers through the roof that it is overheating. The fans work perfectly, there is a new radiator, the cap has been replaced, there is no white smoke out of my tailpipe, no residue in my oil, and yet there is this overheating. Can you give me any idea what it could be ?Thank you.

I have had this problem with my SVX. I replaced the head gaskets, the water pump, the radiator, cap, and one of the fans that wore out. It still overheats. My dealer says I have a cracked block. They used some device that measures pressure in the radiator as well as whether or not it is intake or exhaust which is leaking. Ask them about this. Good Luck!

Svxpac

How many miles on car? auto transmission?
 When it overheats, have you (or been asked by mechanics) seen if the
coolant has been overflowing into plastic reservoir? And subsequently thermo siphoning
back into radiator (when eng is shut off.?) this is a function of radiator cap working properly

Coolant ( same type) should be kept at least to min level
on side of overflow (yellow cap).

What basis is the assumption of HG
leaking(asked earlier)