Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Inside rear hatch release 90 legacy ls

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sawspa

Sawspa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coolville ohio

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

I can't figure out where the release for my rear hatch is on the inside of the vehicle. The manual says it is on a lever beside the gas lid release, but there isn't one there. Could the release be somewhere else? Can they be installed somewhere?

#2 heartless

heartless

Do YOU Subaru?

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • North Central Wisconsin

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:57 AM

if you look closely there should be two levers down there on the floor - the plastic handle(s) may be broken off making it difficult to see (mine was) - one lever is for the gas filler door, the second - closest to the door jamb - is the rear hatch release.

Dont be surprised if it doesnt work - mine didnt. It is a cable operated system and on 25 year old cars they tend to be non-fuctional. cables break, latches get corroded and dont work properly, etc

#3 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,398 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

If it's a wagon there is no "inside release".

if it's a sedan....it will be there next to the gas release.  The plastic may have broken, so all you will see is a small metal bar that had the plastic tab on it.

#4 Sawspa

Sawspa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coolville ohio

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

It's a wagon. I guess I'll make one. Sure makes it handy when car camping. Thanks

#5 SubaruWagon87

SubaruWagon87

>mfw

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • Ellensburg, WA

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

Does the handle on the hatch itself not work?

Edit: nvm, I just read the part about camping

Edited by SubaruWagon87, 30 August 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#6 Sawspa

Sawspa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Coolville ohio

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:38 PM

I had to replace the outside handle too. It should be an easy to build, upgrade.

#7 Flowmastered87GL

Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,126 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:59 PM

I would imagine that you would be able to get one of the glow in the dark emergency pull cables from a newer model car trunk (maybe find a front end damaged Subaru in a junkyard and go to town on its trunklid)  You could then hopefully find a way to attach the cable to the existing mechanism in the hatch, drill a small hole and have the small pull handle sticking out into the cargo area on the inside of the hatch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users