Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Inside rear hatch release 90 legacy ls

I can't figure out where the release for my rear hatch is on the inside of the vehicle. The manual says it is on a lever beside the gas lid release, but there isn't one there. Could the release be somewhere else? Can they be installed somewhere?

if you look closely there should be two levers down there on the floor - the plastic handle(s) may be broken off making it difficult to see (mine was) - one lever is for the gas filler door, the second - closest to the door jamb - is the rear hatch release.

Dont be surprised if it doesnt work - mine didnt. It is a cable operated system and on 25 year old cars they tend to be non-fuctional. cables break, latches get corroded and dont work properly, etc

I would imagine that you would be able to get one of the glow in the dark emergency pull cables from a newer model car trunk (maybe find a front end damaged Subaru in a junkyard and go to town on its trunklid)  You could then hopefully find a way to attach the cable to the existing mechanism in the hatch, drill a small hole and have the small pull handle sticking out into the cargo area on the inside of the hatch.