Ultimate Subaru Message Board

to: 2.7 loyale

To use the thicker and taller, single plate adaptor, Resolves this issues:

• Resolves the lack of space for the Choke assembly.
  • Resolves the impacting screws' issue.
  • Relieves the forced Angle for the tool during screwing and unscrewing the Bolts.
  • and Makes Easier this Retrofitting, for sure...

Let me show you, the Clearance between the Choke and Power Steering Pump's Tank:

Clearance.jpg

The clearance is Enough, however you can hit the Metal reservoir at the Power Steering Pump, in order to get More Clearance as well; also you can see how easier is to reach now, the Mounting Screws.

That clearance is gained not only by the Taller adaptor Plate, but also, using the " Plastic, temperature insulator along the gaskets, between the Weber Carburetor's Base and the Adaptor Plate's top. Such plastic temperature insulator, is pictured in post Nº 8 of my Writeup, which is Here: ~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/71510-ideas-on-swaping-a-weber-carb-on-ea82%C2%B4s/

► Edited to add the direct Link to my Complete Writeup regarding the Weber Carb Retrofitting.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

• 4 months later...

...What is the different between carb intake stamped S.K 24 and S.K 39? ... From which engine are these?

As far as I know, the SK 24 is a Dual carburetor intake manifold, that belongs to a slim case (Narrower / Older style) Subaru EA71 (1600) engine; while the SK 39 is a Single carburetor intake manifold, for the Fat Case (Wider / Newer style) EA71 (1600) and also fits the EA81 (1800) Subaru engines that used the 2bbl Hitachi Carburetors.

There are other different intake manifolds for the EA71 and EA81 engines as well, such like the intakes designed to fit a single barrel carburetors, dual carburetors on EA81, and even for the EFi ones... but that's another story.

The interesting part is that mainly those intakes only has the logotype "SK" emblazoned, without any number following, so it becomes a confusing topic; thus explains why we do not use that numbers to refer to the intakes; we only use the Engine where they came from, as solid, non-confusing reference.

Here is an Example of a dual carburetor intake for the EA81, that only says: "SK" and no numbers following that:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/110449-sourcing-parts-for-a-dual-carb-ea-81-updated/page-2?do=findComment&comment=934770

Kind Regards.

Is it refer to intake size or carb?

Intake, but not Size... Model.

The first one you show (SK 24) Belongs to the Subaru Manatee SVX Race car, which features a rear mounted EA71S engine; photos here: ~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/122906-the-awesome-older-generation-picture-thread/page-7?do=findComment&comment=1039556

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I finished the write up and am very pleased with it. Thank you.I went the route of getting the single adapter plate, it is beautiful and cant wait to get my weber, however i have a few questions. Since i already have the single adapter, can i buy just the linkage and use a 32/36 with a manual choke? I dont want to buy the "kit" if i dont need it. I can get a manual choke 3236 weber with air filter box and the "short" filter for $250 and they will install the 140/140 jets.

• Like 1

I finished the write up and am very pleased with it. Thank you ...

You're Welcome:) 

Yes, you can buy the parts separately and make your own Setup.

Regarding the Manual choke, you only need to use it carefully,

in order to not leave it applied all day long.

You can use the area already provided in the Dashboard, for the Manual choke Lever,

Choke.jpg

it was a feature in certain markets outside the USA.

Kind Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey jezek, my gl does not have the factory pump, the aftermarket electric one i have just burned up. I am looking for the best possible pump to use with a weber, any recomendations? Also i have no "Y" fitting on my 1987 GL. it has the feed fitting and the return fitting on the carb. Going to salvage yard today, hopefully to find the fitting as they have 3 brats and 3 gl's. If i cannot find the fitting, is it possible to put a relief regulator in and have the fuel return to the tank? I am new to electric pumps and carbs, always had mechanical pumps on my trucks. Thanks for being the "man" for webers, your help is putting my favoite car back on th road

• Like 1

... I am looking for the best possible pump to use with a weber, any recomendations? ...

The book "Weber Carburetors" by Pat Braden notes, on page 22:

Weber%20Carbs%20-%20Pat%20Braden.jpg

"In general, Webers should receive a maximum fuel pressure of 3.5 psi"

You must consider that Excessive pressure will keep the needle valve in the float bowl from closing properly, that will Flood the Weber carburetors which doesn't have the fuel cutoff solenoid.

The stock fuel Pump on Carbureted Subaru EA82's, have 5/16" in and out fittings, and delivers around 2 to 3 PSi; so, they're perfect for these Webers, My recommendation is to obtain another, Subaru Original fuel pump, for Carbureted EA82's.

However, if you can not find another, original Subaru fuel pump, then you should obtain another electric fuel Pump, whose fittings are both 5/16" and delivers no more than 4 PSi.

I know that using the "Y" inlet fitting on the Carburetor, will take care of the Excess of Fuel, but if the electric fuel Pump that you obtain, has more than 4 PSi, I suggest you to obtain an in-line Fuel Pressure Regulator / Check Valve; letting it to keep the pressure under 4 PSi; the check valve function, will easy the starting of the engine, if the car sits for some days, unused.

There are many Fuel Pressure Regulators on the aftermarket stores, I've seen ~► This one, being used in Weber swaps, on other cars.

The brand / Quality of the products you chose, depends on you \ how much you want to spend.

... Thanks for being the "man" for webers, your help is putting my favoite car back on th road

Thank you for your kind words, which I really appreciate.

Kind Regards.

• 1 year later...

My setup is similar regarding your hose locations going into the air box except..... In your photo you show the two hoses coming in at the upper right and upper left. As you can see with the air box off and looking down at the top of the Weber, it has the top recesses on the right side of the carb body. Instead of connecting the 3/8 hose on the left side I made a hole in the front right at the recess in the Weber and just used a little longer 3/8 hose. The recess in the Weber carb body allows for more room to put the fitting in the air box bottom plate and so is not inhibited by the filter.