Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New engine time--what will simply "drop in".

2.5SOHC BAJA SWAP COMPATABILITY

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mcmono50

mcmono50

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Grand Rapids, MI

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

Greetings all!

I purchased my first Subaru--a 2003 Baja with an Automatic and 300k. The body is great, interior is beautiful, but the timing belt busted, and I'm in need of a new engine. I've scanned the stickies and tons of threads. While I've got an idea of what not to do for a swap, and a good start on how to how to replace just about any part--for the record some of the how to's on here are dynamite, I'm looking for what drops in, no question. I found one list, on.....Wikipedia. Forgive me.

Impreza 2.5RS, 2.5TS 00-02 (US)
Impreza Outback Sport 00-02, 04 (US)
Forester 99-02 (US)
Legacy 00-02 (US)
Outback 00-04 (US)
Baja 03-05 (US)

I've read that it must be SOHC so maybe not from a 99 forester. If there's a Subaru vet out there willing to school me on whether or not that is a list I can depend on when shopping, I'm ready to take notes and provide any details one may need. Fire away. Please and thank you.

#2 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,629 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:22 PM

Why replace the engine?  Damage done when t belt breaks is bent valves. Replace the valves,  resurface the heads,  reassemble and your done. Or.............simply buy replacement heads from a wrecking yard, and install. No need to replace the motor.

#3 heartless

heartless

Do YOU Subaru?

• Members
  • 2,676 posts
  • Central Wisconsin

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:42 AM

Why replace the engine?  Damage done when t belt breaks is bent valves. Replace the valves,  resurface the heads,  reassemble and your done. Or.............simply buy replacement heads from a wrecking yard, and install. No need to replace the motor.

while this is true, at 300,000 he may be further ahead to get a lower mileage engine.

#4 uniberp

uniberp

mpergielwalkermi

• Members
  • 637 posts
  • Walker, MI

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:34 AM

If the 99 forester is Phase II EJ25D - SOHC it should drop right in to replace your EJ251 with no EGR or IAC issues.

Maybe someone else can confirm...

Edited by uniberp, 28 August 2014 - 11:17 AM.

#5 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,629 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

while this is true, at 300,000 he may be further ahead to get a lower mileage engine.

OHHHHHH, I missed the 300K miles on the engine on the original post. Yea, now I see why a replacement engine is the best option.

#6 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,741 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

List looks good to me. 99 Forester has the SOHC heads so will bolt right in.

#7 mcmono50

mcmono50

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Grand Rapids, MI

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

Thank you for the advice, y'all.  I'll commence the search and see what's out there.

#8 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,880 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:28 PM

If it's a 2003, make sure it doesn't have EGR. If it does, the options are slim as it was only offered for a couple years (2003 and 2004).

If not, the list is good. Just reuse the intake manifold that is on the current engine on the new engine.

#9 mcmono50

mcmono50

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Grand Rapids, MI

Posted Yesterday, 02:49 PM

The new one is in. It starts, runs and drives, but has wicked case of torque bind. That's a whole different topic to be addressed at another time. Plenty of reading on here about that. I've got more basic questions.

There's a connection to what I think is a knock sensor that I can't get to connect. I'm attempting to upload an image but should it not work, the wires that appear to need to hook up are just a bit more toward the drivers side of under the throttle body. Large white female end and a gray male end. Both are super short and don't want mesh. If they don't, what happens?

Additional trouble area is where the PCV valve had screwed into the old engine. The new engine's port isn't threaded. Its just a short tube that looks to just accept a hose over it. It's all rigged up with hoses and the PVC stuffed in between, but if anyone has a lead on what is better I'm all ears. The Subaru parts guy said there isn't a push in PVC option for any models of that vintage, but without a vin for the engine he wasn't confident about any of it. I suppose I can't blame him.

I appreciate the knowledge in here. Saved me from asking all noob questions first.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users