Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bottom end noise on startup EJ22e

1996 impreza sport, 187,000 mi

When i start the car, you can hear a bottom end rattle for the first 2 seconds and then it goes away.

I am wondering if i should consider rebuilding the oil pump. Could this be a drainback issue? The engine has a mobil 1 filter and high mileage 10w30. I am looking to move to 0w40 or 5w40 for the next oil change.

The engine rund great, but will blow some oil smell on startup. The engine doesn't seem to consume much oil since i have replaced the PCV, less than a quart in over 3000 mi

I can get 2 sized of oil filter for the engine, mobil 1 104 and 108. the corss references defaul to the 108, (the smalle one) as the smaller honeyell ones from the dealer supersede the older made in japan units to fit on later turbo engines. I do have the smalller filter on this one, but want to move to the larger one as i have cross referenced the large on on my 98 LOB ej25d. I have no doubts about the filter itself. 

The PO claimed the car burns oil before i bought it, and i replaced the PCV and it seems to do ok. But i do not know if or how many times the car has been run out of oil.

Is it possible that you have a sludge build up in the motor? Maybe PO did not change oil & filter regularily. If so, sludge will restrict oil circulation through the motor, and would be most noticeable on start up.

I'd drain the oil, put in a new filter and replace a quart of the oil
with ATF, and drive for about an hour (NOT fast, NOT on a 100 degree
day). Drain, replace filter again, and fill with a quart of ATF the
rest oil and do it again. ATF is high in detergent and lower in
viscosity than regular motor oil and sometimes cleans an engine really
well. Two quarts of ATF (and two oil filters) should take care of this
process. Drain and fill with synthetic or dino oil and a new filter
after that.

I am suspecting the oil pump itself may be losing prime after an overnite sit. Can anyone confirm which engines or year of engine are prone to loose oil pump screws? 

The PO had amsoil in the sump before i changed it. The current oil is still clean looking after 3000 mi. The mobil 1 filter is good for up to 15,000 mi according to their claims.

I do not know if any of the oil pan or gasket have been serviced in this car. I doubt my issue is the filter, but if i do change it, i will move it to the mobil 1 104 filter as it should have for n/a application

I suppose i will top off with ATF a few miles before i change the oil. 

I would be wise to service the oil pump; i just wanted 2nd opinions about that if it should be necessary or not. I do need to remove the timing covers and inspect the belt. Also, the woodruff key on the crank pulley is worn and the pulley has a slight wobble.

Suspect you could be right about the oil pump having loose screws, and loosing prime. Since current oil is still clean looking after 3000 miles, then don't think you have an oil sludge problem. Also, don't think you have an oil filter problem.

Thanks for your input. I just wanted to confirm my suspicions with a 2nd opinion. I have not yet encountered an ej22 with oil pump issues although i have read about it being a potential issue, and the recommendations to loc-tite the screws any time an oil pump is serviced

Hey, Miles--if you gotta' go in for the key anyway might as well open it up and find out.  You'll sleep better if you do!

I've checked out 3 EJ22 oil pumps over the years--two were just fine but one had several loose screws.  Sure glad I found that one.