Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problems at the Subaru dealer

hi I am new to this site and I have not seen a post similar to mind so that's why I'm posting. I have recently went into my local Subaru dealer for the 105 K mile maintenance. They replaced my timing belt, serpentine belt and alternator belt. I also had an oil change and all four brake pads replaced.During this time they do their courtesy multi-point inspection. They also did a courtesy computer update. Which we did not ask for or give permission to do. Anyways after receiving the car back my wife went out of town for work not 10 miles out of town the check engine light turned on and the cruise control light started flashing. As soon as this happened the cruise control no longer worked. We called our local Subaru dealer and told them what happened they said bring the car back and take a look at it. Mind you this car has a 110k on it we have never once had an issue with it ever. Now after I drop 1200 Into it for scheduled maintenance does Subaru dealer says now we possibly need a new catalytic converter and they said the computer update they cannot warranty if something went wrong with that it's kind of on us. I'm not a Mr know it all but the little bit I do know about cars is catalytic converters just don't all of a sudden turn off or go out they show symptoms and slowly go bad from my understanding. Granted this just happened a few days ago and they are still trying to figure out what exactly is going on but I am extremely frustrated and I'm wondering if anybody else has had this problem. If so what was the answer or the solution. Thank you for reading and thank you for any and all input!

Pasted this from another message board:

You need to get the CEL code read (PXXX) and bring that code back here. The CEL is preventing your Cruise from working and the Cruise light is flashing to tell you it can't work.

You may be able to disconnect your positive battery cable for 10 mins and step on the brake pedal for a minute to reset the ECU. That may put the CEL out and allow your cruise to work. If the CEL comes back on after you do that, you will need to get the code read.

Nothing wrong with the catalytic convertor. 

Nothing wrong with the catalytic convertor. 

Thank you.I did notice I left out I did bring the car back they did clear the code and they said it may have been a fluke. At that time they told us that the cold has something to do with the catalytic converter. At that time they told us keep on driving like normal nothing is wrong with it it was probably a fluke and it will not happen again if it does happen again contact them and they're going to try to figure it out it did happen again and now this is where I'm at.

What year and model is your car. I am presuming later model withthe ECU update. There are TSB updates for these. I would imagine that the reflas needs to learn the car and meter itself to the sensors' outputs thru several drive cycles. I would imagine clear any codes and let the new ECU tune work itself out. For the mileage on the car, it may be necessary or recommended to change out a knock sensor or engine temp sensor or o2 sensor if they are worn. The dealer should have the ability to measure or monitor the sensors to make sure they are within range. This kind of thing would come down to the skills of the individual technician that services your car. Perhaps get a 2nd opinion. 

The biggest problem I am having is I gave them a perfectly good runing and driving car and now I got back a car with a christmas tree dash. By what I'm understanding from the dealer the update was a must and they are not responsible for what hapends to the car from the update. So if the car needs sensors or whatever now I don't think that should be on me because it worked fine before the update. Granted anyone could prob replace a lot of stuff on a car with 110k from showing wear. Thank you for all the input!

Thank you.Yes my dealer is claiming the warranty was 8 years 80,000 miles and obviously we are now over that. Who did you have to get after to get the warranty extended and covered was it Subaru of America or your local dealer?

Yup they will. S.O.A did step up the the plate without further action and the car is currently back at my local dealer and they're replacing the catalytic converter and SOA is covering all repair cost. Someone was asking for the code that the computer came up with and it is (P0420).