Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Have had an intermittent misfire problem on my 95 Legacy for several months - only when it is damp out and only on first morning start.

It would kind of stumble a little & throw a cylinder 2 misfire code. once the engine was fully warmed up it would run fine. Clear the code and the code wouldn't come back unless it was damp again the next morning.

today, started engine, it was stumbling a bit - popped the hood and dropped jaw... have sparks jumping on 2/4 side of coil - the coil-pak itself is bad (I have a short video I can upload later tonight - can't do it at work)

so my question is: will the coil-pak from my 1990 Legacy work on my 1995?

That is a Lot of Spark going on...

You might try the Dodge Neon Coil Swap, 

Some people believes it is an "Upgrade" as you can read here:

~► http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/eclipse-msd-coil-swap-149822.html

Lots of Photos here:

~► http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/msd-coil-into-subaru-step-step-photos-152338.html

Kind Regards.

MSD coil mod (uses the Dodge Neon type coil- MSD # 8239). Just splice in the Dodge coil 3 wire connector onto your Subaru coil wires and that is really it (other than modifying the moiunt a little since the bolts won't all line up).

Wowie! Haven't seen that before.

I had never seen one do that before either!

thanks for the upgrade idea guys, but went the easiest (and cheapest) route for now - swapped in the coil from my old 90 Lego - plugged right in, car started right up, no more sparklies. :) Will have to wait for another damp/humid morning start to see if it still exhibits the same symptoms or not (thinking not)

May try that upgrade idea at a later date - especially if the current one starts giving problems.

maybe it is just my imagination, but i think she is idling a little smoother now, too.

Thanks for the help!

...maybe it is just my imagination, but i think she is idling a little smoother now, too...

Nope!

That is Not your imagination, the engine should idle smoother, and run smoother because there is no more electrical current loss, and thus means a complete Spark delivered to the cylinders.

Kind Regards.

• Like 1