Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Subaru Legacy wagon: is it a worn out ignition?

A few years ago I was driving and heard something drop. When I parked i was surprised to discover my keys had fallen out and I had to put the key back in to turn off my engine.

Off and on throughout the years I would have to turn the key multiple times to start my car. I would wiggle my shifter, turn my wheel, etc. and sooner or later, it seemed like the key would hit just right, and my car would start.

A year ago, I took my key to a locksmith and had a new one made. He said my worn out key was the most toothless key he had ever seen. I had my old key still on my ring, and used it to pry something so now it is visibly bent.

Long story short the situation is getting worse, as far as frequency and number of tries it takes to get the key to hit just right. And yes switching to the bent worn out key is sometimes the "solution"

So is my ignition like too loose or is it something else. I do hear a click sometimes when I try the key and nothing happens, and I saw a post about solenoid click.

I left my car at work yesterday because it was the worst ever, and I just gave up. Hubby cleaned my battery terminal off this AM and did get it to start, but I don't think that is the reason for they key needing multiple tries

Oh, yeah 110,000 miles

Thanks for any gear head opinions in advance

If they key is not able to physically be turned, that is a problem with the key or the ignition lock cylinder.

If the key turns but the engine does not start, that is NOT a problem with the key or ignition lock.

The clicking solenoid is due to worn contacts in the starter solenoid. The contacts can be replaced, or you can just put on a rebuilt starter.

You can get a new set of contacts and plunger for your starter for about $11 on ebay (free shipping).  (Example here.)  There are some good videos on youtube about how to remove the starter and replace those parts.  Pretty easy.

If the key is the problem, you can usually get a new key cut at a Subaru dealer for not much money.  I got some cut for my '95 and I think they were about $15 each.  However, because of wear on the lock tumblers in the ignition cylinder, a brand new key may still be a little tricky.  I bought three keys and two are no problem...the third one is pretty darn close and takes a very small amount of wiggling (I just use that as a spare).  You can call a dealer near you, ask for the parts department, and tell them your VIN and they should be able to tell you if they can cut it.

Thanks for the opinions! I have a new key and an old worn out bent key. The fact that sometimes I switch to the bent key and that key (or just luck) hits the sweet spot made me think my ignition was like an old whore (pardon my metaphor for the easily offended)

Now that I know about solenoids making clicking sounds. Sometime my dashboard clicks while I am driving for about 5 minutes, then stops. And sometimes it doesn't. 

i wondered if the odometer can click if it is getting stuck, because that is where it sounds like the clicking is coming from.

Edited by somnamblst

Is it a rapid clicking coming from the dash?

Starter solenoid click will be only one solid "click" from under the hood when you turn the key to start.

There are some relays under the dash which you may hear but they're much quieter than the starter solenoid.

Is this car manual or automatic?

My 92 Leggy had a similar problem for a LONG time.

I thought it was the ignition switch as well. 

Bypassed relays, installed button start, no good.

Finally just got a new starter, now it starts great! (imagine that:)

My key can be pulled out and the cylinder housing is a little loose, but seems secure and normal.

I agree with the earlier post about the solenoid contacts, they are probably dirty and need cleaned or replaced.

But not wanting to do surgery on the starter I just replaced it.

Thanks all, I have a new starter at 110K miles. I am not a gear head and I imagine paying someione to clean solenoids could be pricey.

That a visibly bent worn out key can start my car probably means almost any key could start it

The clicking sound that sounds like it is coming from the dash is close together clicks and can last as long as 5 minutes. Most often at the beginning but sometimes mid trip. I live very close to work, 7 minutes and it has never lasted the whole time.