Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 OBW H6 w/Auto Climate Control A/C Recharge Question

I recently purchased a 2001 Outback LL Bean H6 wagon with the automatic climate control. The A/C is not blowing cold. The heater and everything else is working-- I ran the self-diagnosis on the control system and got an error code for the sun load sensor because I was working in my dim garage, but no other error codes. The compressor is running when the system is on, but there is no cold air. I figured it was probably low on r134a so I got a can, connected it to the low side port, and turned on the system, but it's not taking any r134a in. The can does not get cold or show any evidence of emptying, nor does the air get colder. Now granted, I'm cutting corners because I haven't connected up my manifold gauge and looked at the pressures yet, which I will tonight, but my question is this:

Will a faulty sun load sensor or one that's not in sunlight cause the system to not recharge for some reason?

Also, what kind of pressures should I be seeing on my manifold gauges? I'm sure there is some pressure in the system or the compressor wouldn't be kicking on at all.

Edited by dave833

Did you get a can with one of those squeeze trigger hoses on it?

Those have a spacer you have to remove so the needle on the hose will pierce the seal on the can. Until you remove the spacer you won't get anything out of the can.

Not sure what the H6 systems run for pressures. Seems that the 2000+ Subaru systems run around 25 psi on the low side, about 200-220 on the high side, depending on outside temp.

Check the top of the filter/drier canister for a sight glass. Clean it off and peer in with a flashlight while the compressor is running. If you see lots of bubbles, the charge is likely very low. If it looks frosty or foamy the charge is low, but should still have enough to make at least a little cold air.

If the sight is clear with an occasional bubble, the charge is near the correct amount.

These have a few common leak points. The o-ring on top of the compressor like to get brittle and leak, and the lower corners of the condensers will corrode and leak. Check those for any oily or damp appearance. Compressor o-rings are easy to replace.

The pressures need to be checked first.  It could be low or high.

The compressor is running when the system is on, but there is no cold air..

If that's true - that's a new one on me I don't think I've ever seen or heard of before.

You're positive the clutch is actually engaging the compressor?  Is it cycling or always on?

H6's often leak at the A/C compressor where the hoses bolt on.  A few cents for orings and it's repaired.  Ideally you replace the schrader valves and compressor side orings if the system comes apart.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/127980-diy-ac-air-conditioning-leak-refrigerant-repair-for-5-or-less15-m/

The pressures on both sides are about 100. Pretty much pegged at 100 on the high side and vary between about 95 and 110 on the low side depending on engine RPM. The compressor is not cycling- it's running with the clutch engaged continuously. It's a little noisy too. There's no sight glass that I could see on the drier. Scratching my head on this one!

Edited by dave833

It thats the case, either your compressor pooped itself or the expansion valve blew out.

Is the compressor hub turning at the same speed as the pulley? If the clutch is slipping a little that will cause some problems but it should still show slightly different pressures between low and high.

What kind of noise is it making?

With the engine off spin the compressor hub by hand a few times. There should be some slight drag, but it should spin smoothly with maybe a bit of a "lumpy" feel like you would expect from compression.

If it feels very easy to spin, notchy, scratchy (like it has sand in it), compressor is probably kersploded inside.

I guess you'r confident you're using the manifold gauges correctly? I kinda wonder why the compressor would even cycle on at low pressure like that.

and why not charge the system thru the gauge's center hose?

I think I'd be tempted to get a vacuum pump from VatoZone or O'Spendys (they will 'loan' you one with a credit card charge/credt) and evac the system and see it it will hold a vacuum. maybe the refrigerant is leaking out quickly?

or just take it to a pro. They can recover refrigerant and do testing. just tell him you'll handle swapping in a compressor. Lie if you want, "I'm geting it from a guy on the Subaru Forum, he owes me for some rims I sent him blah, blah, blah" then, finis the repair yourself.

Also, you could try some refrigerant with dye in it - maybe you have a hole in the condenser or a bad hose?

Rest system pressure is around 90-100 psi. A little more on a hot day.

The compressors on these will turn on with as little as 30 in the system. The older cars will actually pull 15" vacuum on the low side, 60-80 psi high side, if the charge is low enough. You won't get cold air, but the compressor will run.

If the compressor ate it you'll find metal shavings in the discharge line from the compressor to the condenser.

This will mean replacing the compressor, condenser, the drier and possibly the evaporator core, then flushing all of the hoses to remove all the metal from the system.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
14 minutes ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

I replaced a bad suction hose. Looking for tips for recharging in low temps (61*F today) I will try again tomorrow but, seemed like the second can didn't get much lighter.

maybe it will be a coupla degrees warmer tomorrow.....or, maybe I have to wait for spring???

I always feel like it's taking way longer than it should and get the sense something is wrong....but it never is, I just wait it out, give it time and it eventually goes in....but I imagine you already did that? 

Are you charging it via manifolds or feeding it directly, are they opened properly? 
Is the car running with the A/C on high when you're charging?

I'll rev the engine to bump up the A/C compressor rpm's sometimes, though i don't know if that actually does anything...