I have a 97 Impreza OBS. Yesterday I had pulled off the road and as I was I was getting back on a chunk of loose asphalt hit the underside of the car. I think it hit the suspension just inside of the drivers side wheel but I could be wrong. Everything seemed fine at first, engine ran fine, temp stayed normal and no trail of fluid behind me but about a quarter mile down the road the engine just quit and wouldn't re-start. The starter turns the engine over but not even a cough from the engine. Here is what I know so far:
* The fuel pump is not priming when I turn the key to run and there appears to be no voltage at the pump either then or when cranking the engine.
* The fuel pump does run if I power it from the cigarette lighter and will happily spit fuel from the fuel filter in this configuration but the engine still won't start.
* I don't believe I have spark but it was hard to tell under full sunlight. Can I use a regular 12v test lamp between the coil and ground or will I fry something?
* There are several relays that ARE working, the one mounted on the kick panel under the dash, the "Main" relay (brown plug) and whatever that one just below the Main relay (white) that I can feel clicking when I turn the key to run but I don't think the fuel pump relay is activating but it's really hard to get more than just the tip of a finger on it. The wiring for this relay is equally hard to reach but maybe there is somewhere else I can test from?
* There is NO check engine on with the key in the "run" position (there should be right?)
* The OBD port appears to be dead. It's been a couple years since I've used it but I could have sworn it would light up elm based scanner without the engine being on.
* I checked all the fuses except the one marked SRS with the "special" cover over it and they all looked good. BTW should I be pulling that one while I'm fiddling with the wiring under there? Is it powering anything else important?
My plan for tomorrow is to have a look at the ecm. I'll attempt to check power and ground for sure and try to find and test the wire for the fuel pump relay. Any thoughts on where I should begin with this thing?