Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newer Halogens/HIDs into second gen brat?

SubieBrat

Has anyone done this? I want to upgrade the headlights in my 86 brat and would prefer HIDs if I can. Is there a kit out there? I have searched for hours and cant seem to find one that takes me from the sealed glass headlights to something that I can put bulbs into.

Thanks in advance

I believe all ea81s came with sealed beam headlights. Instead of replaceable bulbs.

So with that said, look up h4 conversions. You have an 86 so you should have quad headlights. So you'll need 4x6 lights.

Good luck with your search .

I think we may have found some at summit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/grm-09-130-b-pr

thinking about ordering sometime here pretty soon. found these right before you posted. Just wondering what or if everyone else has done too

Thanks for the help Skylar

Those look like a reflector halogen.........not a true HID.  Which would be better actually.

True HIDs use alot of power.....might strain the old 55 amp Alternator and wiring......let alone the headlight wiring.

Plus they are obnoxious if you ask me.

I've had good luck simply running new relay and wires to my headlights.....triggered by the original switch/wiring.

New bulbs and new wires straight to lights from battery and ground to engine block gets full 14v to the bulbs then even stockers are clear and bright.

• Like 1

yeah, i agree that they are kind of annoying. just trying to weigh my options as far as lights go. i have an ej swap in my 85 right now and its going into the 86. its just the sealed beams in my 86 got water in them and and dont turn on what so ever. the ones in my 85 dont light the road up very much, even less when in it rains so i cant see the lines on the road. i talked to ShawnW today and he said that he could be just a matter of adjustment(which is very possible since they werent correct alignment when i bought the brat and i spun out and hit a concrete barrier last febuary and had to replace the light bracket), so as of now im leaning to towards trying to keep the sealed but as a worse case get these light lens and possible wire in an outback or legacy light harness in and do the some different lights like xenons or the hids but trying to stay away from those now since Gloyale made a good point with the amprage draw since im already running an 800 watt stereo. what do you guys think? try to keep the sealed or order the lenses?

If you want to run HID you will need to do the headlight relay thing anyway or it will not trigger because we are ground switched not hot switched.  Upgrading to 4x6 H4 conversion lenses are not all great.  I have tried 5 different types and 3 are junk. Do not get any that have the built in projector. (trust me). Then if you still wanna go that route because it isn't bright enough Kensun off Amazon makes a great H4 kit for the money.  IF you want to do it right try this.. but you gotta pay to play and have it done right.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits.html

Just as an aside the 35watt hid lights draw less its the initial start up that is the big draw.  The 55 watt versions are more expensive and can almost guarantee you will melt the light housings as well as draw big power. 

I have already done this just not the right way and around here when it snows HID in hte H4 package are aweful.  They will blind you not help

Good luck.

Mike

Edited by Mykeys Toy