Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tail light dash light problems

My running lights no longer come on with the headlights , If I turn on the parking light switch in the center of the steering column  they work, all except the dash lights ?    where is the problem more likely to be . ignition switch ? or perhaps the headlight switch . any help would be much appreciated, This is my  DD  and the daylight is getting shorter every day .

The park lamp switch on the steering column is a different circuit than the headlight circuit. The headlights ground through the switch. Even when not on or not working, you will get voltage at the headlamp socket. 

Do you have an aftermarket stereo? At least you are not having the park lamps come on with the brake pedal (mine does this) 

Check the fuse links in the black box mounted on the overflow bottle, 2 green, one red, one black. Check your fuses. The fuse link can be replaced with 'J' fuses

Hmmm just noticed that the left head light is dim . I will check all the grounds . and report back .

Left headlight Fuse or Relay is not working.  Left is dim because it's backfeeding voltage from the right side.

Also makes sense I think the left side /relay also power the Runnning light circuit. 

I'm guessing the relay cause it supplies both fuse 6 (lighting) and fuse 7 (LH headlights)  It has a green connector up under dash group of four relays to left of steering column.

Edited by Gloyale