Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Goodbye outback it was fun!

You can probably buy it back for around $300. give or take. Keep the good motor and you can make your money back parting the rest of the car out. Or keep it and find a good body with a blown EJ25 and swap in your good motor. after the check the insurance company writes you can come out well ahead, not counting the hassle of it all.

Glad you're ok.

Edited by AdventureSubaru

dumb question.. what about my snowboard racks and my ipod and head unit still in the car? I mean I was really just dropped off at a corner with the tow truck and I grabbed what I could in my hands my tool bag and my laptop and cordless dremel.

You should be able to get access to the car wherever it is being stored (at the towing company yard usually).  To get personal items out of the vehicle.  The ipod is definitely yours (and hopefully it is still there...).

I don't know about the head unit, as that is more "connected" to the car, but the Yakima stuff on top is definitely an extra item on the rack and not normally part of the car.  I would try to get it.  If you have a few minutes without a close watcher, you might be able to grab the head unit.  Anyone I've known that has gone to their wrecked car has been able to grab pretty much whatever they want from inside the vehicle (without removing parts of the car in a "parting out" sort of way).

I took my head unit, the snowboard racks and everything in the glove box and the center arm rest.. he saw me with my Milwaukee cordless tools

btw some more stuff :(

The rear two doors wont fully close so the door light on the dash is always on.. the hatch wont open.

She only had liability on her car

i6mekl.jpg

2j41xkp.jpg

Edited by 1-3-2-4

Glad no one got hurt. I agree with others, do a buy back, you won't get much because of high mileage, but like others said, your rebuilt frankenmotor is of value, and you know how to drop it into another car with a bad motor. Show any recent receipts you have from recent repairs or improvements to the insurance adjuster may help you get a better $ adjustment. I have done that in the past, and it really helps.

Not surprised the air bags did not blow. They are made to go off on frontal impact, not rear impact.  

Let us know how you come out.

Glad no one got hurt. I agree with others, do a buy back, you won't get much because of high mileage, but like others said, your rebuilt frankenmotor is of value, and you know how to drop it into another car with a bad motor. Show any recent receipts you have from recent repairs or improvements to the insurance adjuster may help you get a better $ adjustment. I have done that in the past, and it really helps.

Not surprised the air bags did not blow. They are made to go off on frontal impact, not rear impact.  

Let us know how you come out.

For the airbags I'm talking about the VW airbags.

The amount that the insurance company offers you is negotiable, If I were you I'd reject their original offer and tell them you will accept it if they let you keep the car. The difference to them will likely be just a few hundred bucks and in the grand scheme of things, is just a drop in the bucket for an insurance company. I'd be surprised if they didn't accept.