Ultimate Subaru Message Board

loyale tire size

Its already slow with stock size tires. we want to be able to go up and play in the snow. Just want to know if i'll be able to pull the road up hood with out holding up all the traffic or smoking the transmission. we'll get together and go to the mountain as soon as I get it put together.

Yeah it will prolly chug along slowly. I've heard those trannys arnt terribly reliable though. Might wanna think about doing a 5 speed/DR swap in the near future. And even then the ea82's just arnt strong enough. Nick's build on here runs 235/75/15's doesn't do terribly but it's still 0-60 in 15min haha.

putting bigger diameter tires - the outside tread diameter, not the rim - is like putting in a higher gear.  Except all your gears are higher.  You get more speed on the flat for the same engine RPM, but in these cars, the engine is just barely enough power as it is... 

I also have a 3AT but I'm only doing a 2 inch lift. Tryin to buy a set of wheels and going with something like 195/75 or 27s.

I had 27s before my 29s.  It was ok on the flat but definitely had to downshift for the hills in my 5-speed, even with a wever.  You may have a hard time with the tall gears in an automatic even with 27s or 26s.