Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need help ID'ing the ignition I have so I can get a replacement cylinder for it. This is in my Lotus 7 replica and currently the key is so loose in the ignition that it is constantly falling out. I'd like to replace the cylinder with a new one so a.) the key stops falling out, and b.) I have decent keys that I can get copies made. All I have to go on is the guy that built it said he through it was an early 90's Subaru, but didn't remember which one. The only markings I can find are SK-51 on the top. Also, I've read some posts on here that the cylinder should be easy to get out, that there's a pin that can be released to pull it if it's in accessory, I did see under the tape in the one picture, are the head and real small portion of a nail that I'm guessing he used to hold it in. Will a new cylinder come with new pins to hold it in?

Thanks,

--JOsh

post-26454-0-15916000-1409766333_thumb.jpg

post-26454-0-55922400-1409766340_thumb.jpg

post-26454-0-58799400-1409766347_thumb.jpg

post-26454-0-47943300-1409766356_thumb.jpg

Looks like an 85-89 GL or 90-94 Loyale column. (same car....changed name in 90)

The cylinder can be removed....theoretically by pushing a small pin into the hole on the bottom side........OR.........the whole assembly can be removed.  The heads that look like rivets holding the ignition are actually bolts with no heads.   By using a left threaded drill bit......or by cutting a slot in them with a dremel and using a flathead....then the whole piece can be removed and swapped.

Some MT cars have a manual key cylinder lock release which prevents turning the key back to the lock position and being removed without pressing the button. Subaru doesn't have that, but lots of other cars do, so the parts yard listings usually have to specify which trans type.

Remove the cylinder and have a local locksmith rebuild it. Usually under $30 for new pins and tumblers and a new key cut to fit.