Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brand spankin' new from NJ!

Hey all,

First thanks for putting this board together and allowing me to post on it. I was actually searching for vintage Subaru Brat images and seeing what was available and found this forum. I lurked a little bit and it seemed like there was a bunch of cool people and a ton of useful information on it, so I registered. 

I'm a 37 year old guy from NJ that drives tractor trailers for a living--I come home everyday though I'm an LTL driver. My passion is motorcycles and racing. I own a 2011 GSX-R 750 that I converted to a track only bike and the last couple of years I have been focusing on one of my childhood dreams to get out there and be fast, be competitive and just be as close to this sport as possible. So with that, I needed a reliable car that could pull a trailer to all the tracks I go to. I had a Jeep Cherokee Sport for a long time. I think it was a 2000 and I got used in 04 and had it since this past January. I was trying to avoid a car payment but it started turning into one thing after another. I don't know where everyone is located but here in NJ the winter of 2014 was BRUTAL and right after Christmas I started noticing the heat was going in the Jeep. That was it for me. I had been eyeing up the XV since it came out. When I was a kid I thought the Brat was awesome, my cousin had a WRX that was a ton of fun and now 3 of my neighbors who are all good people all have a Subaru....

Finally I go to work one morning and the heat is completely shot. That Saturday I went right to Subaru and test drove the BRZ. I FELL IN LOVE with that car the minute we rolled off the lot! I loved how it felt, I thought it was a beautiful car with a ton of personality and if you're not smiling ear to ear when going through some twisty roads--something is wrong! I wanted the car but knew if I bought that? I'd have to keep the Jeep for 4x4 and pulling my motorcycle to the track, so I did what I was planning to do for months now and test out the XV. Same effect when I left the lot--instant love affair. I heard some negative reviews about it having a lack of power but I think it's BS, sure maybe in comparison with an STI or something but it has plenty of passing power, it's peppy enough for me AND that's pulling a trailer with bike on it and having the hatch filled with tool boxes, lawn chairs and coolers, driving 3 hours to the track. 

Snow? Forget it! I turned what was becoming a horrible winter into some fun times. I went from no heat in a Jeep with a jacked 4wd system to LOOKING for unplowed roads to rip around on in my XV. The car is a 10 and I'm Subaru for life. It does exactly what I needed it to do and really compliments my motorcycling passion. The only thing I will do differently on the next one is get a darker interior. In my job sometimes I can get kinda dirty and having cloth, beige seats--after this interior cleaning coming up, it's getting seat covers for sure.  This was my 1st new car ever and my 1st Sub so I leased it. I'm already looking at the Forester Turbo for my next.

So that's the story about me and my Crosstrek. Other than that? Like I said I'm a huge motorcycle guy but I love racing of all kinds. From NHRA to Dakar, WRC, Supercross-just everything. Huge football fan and I'm also giant closet dork--I build model cars, RC Cars, HO Slots, Lionel trains and still have my Hot Wheels from when I was a kid. I've also played in metal bands for many years but now my focus is totally on the bike.

One day I'm going to track down a Subaru Brat and take my time doing a restoration! Until then, be kind to animals and watch for motorcycles! Thanks for having me!

Welcome! I'll see you at NJMP this weekend , right ??? Lol

I'm bringing my son and at least one friend of his so I won't make them suffer in my 78 4WD wagon. We'll be in a charcoal grey 1992 Legacy wagon on Satruday. I get the infield parking and usually park down by the tv trailers where it's easy to meet Scott Russell. :)

This year might be great in that Wayne Rainey is taking over the series and might be there this weekend.

We do trail runs thru the Pine Barrens once in a while. BRZ might not be so ideal for that but a beater Brat - pre restoration is really fun !!!

Enjoy !

Paul