Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Remanufactured axle part number

Does anyone know where I can buy a front OEM remanufactured axle 97 legacy outback?  Or know where i can find the part number?   I'm pretty sure I bought one from subarupartsforyou.com last time, but thier website is a lot less intuitive than the last time I vistied it.

I plan on rebooting the axle in the car as a spare. Right now my time is limited, so I want to do the repair quickly.

I know the linked axles have a good reputation, but I've bought one from then in the past and the boot tore in under 10,000 miles. The axle I bought had the new CV joint, so stock boots won't fit it. My personal preference is not to buy from them again.

another option, which is the best IMO, is to buy a used Subaru axle and have a shop reboot it with Subaru boots.

www.car-part.com

have it and new boots shipped to your mechanic of choice and you've got a one-stop-shop solution for quick repair.

probably end up costing less or the same but better end product.

probably a step up from random choice but i don't know that Subaru remman is as robust as OEM Subaru axles. 

I know the linked axles have a good reputation, but I've bought one from then in the past and the boot tore in under 10,000 miles. The axle I bought had the new CV joint, so stock boots won't fit it. My personal preference is not to buy from them again.

I should have also said my car has King Springs which are probably are harder on boots, and at the very the least voids the warranty on MWE axles. Again ot trying to say anything bad about MWE, I just don't want to go that route again.

Edited by sario

another option, which is the best IMO, is to buy a used Subaru axle and have a shop reboot it with Subaru boots.

www.car-part.com

have it and new boots shipped to your mechanic of choice and you've got a one-stop-shop solution for quick repair.

probably end up costing less or the same but better end product.

probably a step up from random choice but i don't know that Subaru remman is as robust as OEM Subaru axles. 

I'll definitely keep this in mind.  Do you think that OEM subaru boots are going to be better quality than aftermarket ones?

Try these two tips:

2000+ OBW and Legacy axles also work - just knock the outer tone ring off (tap it off with a hammer) and bingo - it installs just like the original axle.
And 2000+ axles have the more robust boots on them, the outer boots have more convolutions and last much longer.

If you want those boots - order boots for a 2001 outback.  i've never installed these later boots on older axles - sounds like maybe Imdew has?

www.car-part.com has billions of axles for $10 - $30, just have some shipped to you.  i do it all the time, it's nice having a part sitting on my door step - saves all the time driving, waiting in line, having someone go find the part...or worse yet go remove it...etc.  i spend very little time in a store or yard.

Alternately - to  answer your original question:

All 1995-1999 Legacy and Outback are the same.

All 1995-1999 Impreza and Forester are the same (and I believe later too - but unsure when they changed).

you can search for 1999 impreza axles on ebay, google, car-part.com and see what years also fit that way.  do the same for your Outback.  of course that won't lead you to the "knock the tone ring off" trick, but will tell you some others that will work.

Yes, Subaru boots will last longer.

I've been using Beck Arnely boots for years and sometimes they break in 20,000 miles, I'd get Subaru boots unless your time isn't that valuable and you'd rather save $8.

• 1 month later...

After some really high quotes from salvage yards, I decided I'm just going to buy a new axle.   And i Thinking i'm going to try one from a newer outback so i can get the newer style boots.

I just want to confirm that a axle for 2004 outback will fit.  All i have to do is knock the tone ring off right?