Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings from North Dakota

Im 20 and just moved from Alaska to ND for the oil money, and now i finally have the funds to play with cars.

Iv owned my first car (93 impreza wagon, 5speed, awd) for 3 years now and fell in love with it instantly. It brang me all the way from Anchorage Alaska to Watford city North dakota last month. Just rolled over 130,000 miles. I have big plans for it when i move back to the west coast but thats a whole other post in itself.

I have been on the forums (rs25, dirtyimpreza) the a while now but the reason i got on here, is a friend of mine is selling his very clean 87 gl.

So far this is what i know about it.

Fwd sedan

5speed

body is 10/10, no dents, scratches or visible rust

interior looked great

It shifts into gear but makes a wining sound like two gears are just barely touching and it moves like its in nutural in all gears. It hasnt had the trans fluid changed in awhile either.

My question for you guys is, how hard is it to find a good trans? Also, how easy is it to source parts for a awd conversion near north dakota. I can drive as far as minneapolis minnisota or towards montana if i need to.

Reason im asking is im going to offer him a few hundred when i see him again and i will probably have this little gem by tuesday. i will post pics the next time i get a chance to take some.

thanks in advance.

Sorry for the bad grammar, Im on mobile with a crappy phone.