Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2000 subaru legacy outback that I bought with 5,000 miles on it. It has had a frontend shaking between 60 and 70 miles an hour - always. I have 96,000 miles on the car now and have gone thru 3 sets of tires. Have have the tires rotated and balanced as well as aligned at least 4 times a year. It seems that when the tires are cold, the shaking is worse. I have put it into neutral on the highway at vibration speed and the shaking continues. The dealership has always maintained that there is nothing wrong with the front end. I still have 4,000 miles on my warranty...any suggestions before the clock times out : ) cheryl

have a 2000 subaru legacy outback that I bought with 5,000 miles on it. It has had a frontend shaking between 60 and 70 miles an hour - always. I have 96,000 miles on the car now and have gone thru 3 sets of tires. Have have the tires rotated and balanced as well as aligned at least 4 times a year. It seems that when the tires are cold, the shaking is worse. I have put it into neutral on the highway at vibration speed and the shaking continues. The dealership has always maintained that there is nothing wrong with the front end. I still have 4,000 miles on my warranty...any suggestions before the clock times out : ) cheryl

I went thru the same experience with my 96 Brighton.

In my case, the culprit was a mixture of out of round tires AND rims. The problem with out of round tires or/and rims is it does'nt show on a regular balancing machine. You have to use a special machine or rely on someone experienced who can spot that condition visualy.

This can happen more often than we think. During the two monts it took me to understand what was really happening and cure it, i found more than four tires and one rim that were out of round right out of the box.

It might be something else in your case, but dont rule out out of round tires or rims.

Another ditto. If you are having problems like this, one of the "Road Force" wheel/tire testing / balancing machines may show the problem.

You didn't mention anything, but has the car ever had any front end damage? Even hitting a curb hard, or deep pothole?

Another thought might be half-shafts that are not quite in balance. Rare, but has been known to happen.

I do nearly all highway driving. With the Michelin X-Ones I first had, there was never an issue (3 yrs). Now I have Toyo 800 Ultras (2.5 yrs). I have had to constantly battle a 'slight' hiway vibration issue with them. I have seen for myself that the tire has a touch of out of roundness (all 4), and lateral run out (on 2). But it appears that I also have a touch of rotor / hub imbalance. A couple of times, I have been able to reduce the vibration by simply taking the tire off, rotating it 2 bolt holes (144 degrees) and putting it back on. If everything was truly in balance, doing this shouldn't make any difference. In my case, it just seems that I have a tire that is marginal for my vehicle and my "vibration tolerance" level. Under 60 mph, no problem. Perfectly fine. (Side note - I like the tire overall. It has met my expectations for the most part. Quite similar to the X-One in most respects. Just this slight vibration issue is the only real negative.)

Good luck getting your problem sorted out.

Commuter

You didn't mention any brake work but I'd have your rotors checked. Our MY01 had a vibration between 65 & 70. Had the rotors turned and NO other work done. Smooth now. If your discs have a good amount of milage I'd consider replacment.