Ultimate Subaru Message Board

high idle and flashing AT OIL TEMP LIGHT

Hi everyone,

newbie here, owner of a 1998 forester with 118000 miles, last week the check engine light came on and i took it to advanced auto for them to read the code. came back as P0122 guy said it could be the TPS or spark plugs going bad. car was running ok except it did have a high idle around 1400 or so. I ordered a TPS and installed it today , before removing the old one i disconnected the battery, as soon as i started the car the AT OIL TEMP LIGHT started flashing immediately and i still have the high idle.

any comments or suggestions regarding these two issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gerard. 

Make sure you do a full ECU reset when you disconnect the battery. Leave it disconnected for 30 minutes or more and push the brake pedal a few times during that time (that should make sure the power is drained from everything before you hook thee battery back up again)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! New to this website and new to owning a Subaru. Purchased a 2005 Legacy 130K about 5 months ago knowing the timing belt needed to be replaced. Brought it to the Subaru dealership and had that done 10 days ago... they also informed me the brakes needed to be replaced... got that done and they also did an oil change.... since then the car hasn't been accelerating very well and running kind of funny and CEL has been going on and off... called dealership today and they say to bring it in. On my drive the CEL comes on and stays on (for the first time since owning), in addition to that the cruise light blinking.. they run diagnostic and tell me some spark plugs/gasket (I think) needs to be replaced.. say it's going to $400! but tell me they'll split the cost since I was just there for work... So, they do that. I go to leave dealership, start the car and it's idling super high/hard, at oil temp starts flashing and the car dies. I walk back in and they all look super confused. tell me they need to keep the car today/tomorrow and give me a rental to use. The car drove just fine prior to bringing it to the dealership and now new symptoms keep coming up. I don't know much about cars... any info/help would be greatly appreciated! thanks