Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who knows swaps of the EZ30 Motor?

Long story short, I'm getting an 06 legacy for my wife. It's in good shape but has a blown EZ30 in it. I have not done any work on an H6 before. From what I'm researching only the 2005-2007 motors are a simple swap in.

The 2001-2004 motors are a bit cheaper and common to find. Are these documented anywhere as swaps into the 05+ body style?

Ditto to the good ole' EJ25. How difficult would it be to downgrade a tad and put a more familiar motor in there? (EJ25s being way more plentiful)

All else fails, I'll need some tips on differences between swapping the H6 vs. an EJ motor (which I've done a few times.)

no.  the 05+ have valve train changes (VVT or VVwhatever the other one is). something along those lines.  the earlier H6's won't have those components/sensors.

i'd look into swapping short blocks:  bolt the 06 heads to the 01-04 short block if the 06 heads are good.  it's a lot of work but so is an EJ swap.

or see how close the wiring is and just move pins such that it'll accept the 01-04 ECU.  sometimes the wiring is similar enough that just changing/swapping a few pins might essentially convert it to an 01-04 H6 configuration so to speak.  i haven't heard of or looked into that yet though, so i'm uncertain of the feasibility.  a glance at the ECU wiring pinouts for both FSM's (which are all over the internet for free) would tell the story.

Got the car and the block is definitely toast. Front of the timing cover is cracked and bulged forward from whatever tore loose in there.

Probably answered my own question here on whether a 2000-2004 block could be swapped with 05+ heads. Looks like head gaskets between the two are not compatible. Here's a side by side comparison of the right and left head gaskets.

heads_zps166bf45e.jpg

I'm a noob at this sort of thing and the H6 is a whole new animal to me, but it would seem I'm in the market for an 05+ only