Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vacuum Leak Around Weber Adapter Base Plate and Weber Base

Hitoshi

Hey,

I'm having trouble getting my weber installed without a vacuum leak between the manifold and the adapter as well as the adapter and the weber.

Do you guys have any tips or methods for getting those installed without leaks?

I've tried dry gaskets, "greased" gaskets as per the instructions.

I think the best success I've ever had was using a cereal box gasket with some gasket sealant between intake/adapter I bought from the local auto store then a dry gasket for the adapter/Weber but even then I had some issues with it eventually.

I've already broke a adapter torquing down the weber. And I'm not sure how much more I could get those alan bolts down without breaking it. This also applies to the carb studs/Weber nuts.

Any tips or help would be appreciated!

Thanks-

Toshi

The weber i bought used wasnt exactly flat on the bottom, and neither was the adapter. The adapter i trued up with sandpaper taped to plate glass, and with the weber base i carefully went over it with a broad flat file.

Both the adapter and carb really only need to be a snug fit, i cant remember the actual torque value....but if you're tightening them so much that you are worried about breakage, that may very well be part of the problem.

I always use gasgacinch.  It's made for sealing carbs and is gas resistant.  I also cut my own base gaskets from high quality gasket material that can be found cheaply at any auto parts store.  Just coat the gasket with the gasgacinch and let it dry.  It's like rubber cement, so it doesn't take long to dry.  I usually do two coats, works great.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Edelbrock-4-oz-gasgacinch-gasket-sealer/_/N-25c6?itemIdentifier=214303_0_0_

http://www.gasgacinch.com/gasgacinch_002.htm

• Like 1

Hmm, I sanded down the surface of the manifold. I think it's a little better but there's still a leak at the base between the manifold and adapter piece. Maybe it's the gasket material I got from the autoshop isn't right but still leaking... I'll try it again with shellac now.. hopefully that'll do the trick.

That leak will never be Easy to Seal if Matching surfaces are Not flat,

But I've had great Results in the past with Shellac in similar circumstances.

... I'll try it again with shellac now.. hopefully that'll do the trick.

Don't forget to Smear both sides of the Gasket.

Let us Know the Results.

Kind Regards.

I personally did away with gaskets, and sealed directly metal-metal with Permatex #2 non-hardening fuel resistant sealant in between surfaces as the sealant. This eventually resulted in a vacuum leak as the sealant was pulled toward the intake. I re-sealed using Permatex on the inside near the intake port, and anaerobic sealant on the outside to keep gasses from pulling into the edge of the assembly. That seems to be working fine so far, I plan to disassemble it in a few weeks to see if any further "sealant creep" of the permatex non-hardening has occurred.

One last thing - I sanded the adapter plate, intake surface, and weber base with a large machinists parallel and 240 grit wet/dry sand paper before doing all this - to achieve flat mating surfaces.

Edited by BirdMobile

I personally did away with gaskets, and sealed directly metal-metal with Permatex #2 non-hardening fuel resistant sealant in between surfaces as the sealant. ...

In my Personal case, I sealed the intake / adapter on my Subaru "BumbleBeast"

Using Aluminium Welding, as you can Read on my Weber Swap Writeup (Here)

ManyfoldMod1Front.gif

But I suggested Shellac, because not all the people want to do that

as a Permanent Modification. The welding avoid the use of Gaskets

...and future vacuum leaks for Sure.    Kind Regards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I know this is months later but I finally did get around to using shellac. Unfortunately, I lost oil pressure when I was test driving and wasn't really in a place I could stop safely. Now it's all f-ed up.. Maybe I need a new hobby lol.

Wow..

You sure the car is messed up? Maybe the sending unit on the gauge just went kaput? That sucks man.