Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leaking Gear Oil

Guest Vertigo

Guest Vertigo

My car is an 88 Sedan GL and its 2wd 3AT and its leaking gear oil kinda bad like 3 to 4 drops when the engine is off and sits for a second. I'm thinking its the drain plug and I'm gonna replace it this weekend. but is there any other place gear oil can leak from?

Guest carfreak85

i doubt you have a bad "DRAIN PLUG" rather i think you are missing the crush washer that goes between the tranny case and the drain plug. just a thought, and you can probably get one at schucks or from subaru.

that motor is prone to leak oil through the head gasket area on bottom of the engine. theres a o ring problem from factory.every one i had leaked there. not much but enough to look crappy and get on exust pipe.and stink. thinking of a deflector of sorts. good luck todd

Guest Vertigo

Ok I replaced it with one I got at checker but it wasn't a metal washer on it, it was actaully different but I didn't think it mattered. anyway It still leaks and it seems a bit worse now. Do I need to get a metal one or what? or is my tranny just messed up?