Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT Turbo 4WD suspension swap

tjani

I post this earlier in XT forum, but maybe I can get more answers here.

I have all necessary parts of the 5-lug swap (Impreza knuckles to front and XT6 parts to rear). Is only one thing to what I thinking. 

What struts I put to my car?

I read many threads on this topic. I don't want too stiff suspension.

Now I have a chance buy BE Legacy (gen3 sedan) twin turbo stock Bilstein shocks with H&R lowering springs. 

Can I put these rear shocks and springs with EA82 top mount to my car (and modify lower mounting, I know, different size of the bolt)?

What about the front struts? I know that I need swap top hat or little enlarge the holes. Are any other problems in front struts? 

And one more question, the car ground clearence, higher or lower than the stock air suspension?

Sorry my bad english.

I also have a plan put EJ20 turbo engine to this XT, but before that I need make lot rust repair works. :(

Edited by tjani

• 2 weeks later...

I have contemplated using late model rear struts in place of ea82's. I have a 5 lug setup on my 86 3door, with eibach ground control and KYB agx2 struts in front, gr2 in rear.

I would think it is possible. Not sure if it involves unicorn parts. I believe it has been done beore fro the rear. ypi might be able to flop the ea82 moint one way or the other for fitment. 

But as you are searching here for an answer, the answer relies on someone having done this the first time to post it. That might be you! Good luck

Edited by MilesFox

With the TT Legacy parts, I imagine they're from a 00-04? Probably from a BH5?

The fronts should work on the lower mount (fairly standard among the Subaru parts) but I don't know about the upper part. If the shaft diameter is the same as the GC8 Impreza (93-01), then EA82 mounts should work.

As for the rear, no. The rear setup is no where near the same on the BE Legacy as the EA82...

Those top hats look identical to the EA82 ones, but idk about the mount hub diameter... could be too large (not fit in the hole)

Fronts like straight swap.

The rears need either an adapter plate for the top mount, or drill out the existing upper mount to accommodate the BE3 larger strut shaft diameter. Would double check length too, but over all, a good potential candidate. Nice find!