Ultimate Subaru Message Board

you asked.......

TZ102Z1AAA

this is not an accurate trans number in the US, based on my experience and research.

TZ102ZABAA

this is a legacy trans from a ej22 engine car with a 4.11 ratio.

iirc, it is from a 96 L, LS (maybe brighton) sedan or wagon.

double check the trans number in your car,

my guess is that you have an impreza and the ID# is actually TZ102ZA1AA.

but this is just a guess.

anyway, to answer your question,

ALL 95 - 98 ej22 cars w/ auto trans have a 4.11 ratio. (ej18 cars as well.)

(exception, 96 outback w/ ej22 engine and auto trans, if there such a thing, it would have the 4.44 ratio.)

Edited by johnceggleston

post-21057-0-22028300-1411000571_thumb.jpgThank you, this may have something to do with why I cannot find a 12" (OD) drive plate or a torque converter that fits. At any rate I missed the deal on the other one by one day. A local one delta ten tango (1D10T) has posted a similar transmission with 40k for the absurd price of $1700 on CL

think I found it, and why it makes no sense. its a 95-98 jdm ej25de 4eat

i'd like to find who imported that for the '90 Legacy and kick them in the junk for sending me on the goose chase from h3//

Edited by Txakura

jdm often has different ratios than usdm.

but usually? the same as europe.

look through the trans assemblies in europe, 95 - 98 ej25d cars, at http://opposedforces.com/parts

probably 95 - 96, i think this is an earlier version, rather than a later version, just a guess.

when you see the part number for the trans, it will show the trans ID#, Tz102Zxxxx .

find the one you have, TZ102Z1AAA.

then look for the ring and pinion parts of the rear diff in the ''train'' section .

it will show the ratio.

chances are you can find the trans part number you are looking for.

now just a guess,

but since the US 4eat in the 96 - 98 ej25d cars all have the TZ102Z2xxx trans with the 4.44 ratio,

i think the TZ102Z1AAA trans you have is not 4.44, that leaves 4.11.

i have never heard of an auto trans in the 90s, non-turbo, that had a 3.9, or 3.7 ratio.

(SVX had a 3.54 i think.)

so i'm pretty sure yours is a 4.11.

besides, the 90 lego, non-turbo, auto trans came with a 4.11 ratio.

Final Drive Ratio 90 - 94

1990-1994 FWD non-turbo AT & MT Legacy
3.70 Final Drive Ratio

1990-1991 AWD non-turbo AT & MT Legacy
4.111 Final Drive Ratio

1992-1994 AWD non-turbo AT Legacy
3.90 Final Drive Ratio

1992-1994 AWD non-turbo MT Legacy
4.111 Final Drive Ratio

1991-1994 AWD turbo AT & MT Legacy
3.90 Final Drive Ratio
Edited by johnceggleston

have you looked for a trans here:

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

sort by zip code to see what is close.

you will have to search each year, 95 - 98, and model, legacy & impreza separately.

but you can use any auto trans 95 - 98 from an ej22 car or 93 -98 ej18 car.

CAN NOT use 92 - 94 ej22 cars.

lots to choose from.

Excellent, thank you for the link. I will sort this out one way or another, it is definitely 4.11. Its the torque converter/drive plate combo that does not match anything, seriously thinking of just changing the trans to something less orphan so I don't have to deal with this again down the road.

there are only 2 flexplates, engine to torque converter connections.

there is the 4.11 plate used on all the ej22 cars 95 - 98.

and the 4.44 plate used on all the ej25 cars 96 - 99.

the flex plate MUST match the trans,

they will both bolt on to your engine.

there are lots of the smaller one floating around since they are not used when an ej22 is swapped into an ej25 car with bad head gaskets.

turns out there is a third, it's between the ej 22 and ej 25 plate. early turbo plate according to Ivan. it is indeed half way between the two for OD and torque converter bolt locaton... since I now seem to have all three plates and need to fly to Japan or sneak into Canada to get one from Ivan

it may be easier to swap the torque converter.

the engine does not care which TC it attached,

the trans does.

but they should all swap if needed.

the 90 leog uses the smaller TC.

i don't know what the larger one, outback?, would do to shifting and driving?

nothing probably, but i don't know enough about it.

but i do know folks have swapped outback auto trans (and rear diff) into a lego L with no ill effects.

so the TC can't be that big of a deal.

all of this headache is why i do not like JDM parts.

Edited by johnceggleston

Yes. It is indeed ridiculous. Frankly the car doesn't have enough total miles to be on it's 2nd transmission, I had no idea someone had swapped in the JDM unit.

I called 1st Subaru and we picked what should have been the correct drive plate only to find it is too small for my converter. (btw I mailed them for an RMA and never heard back)

I went the torque converter route and there is some difference in the input shaft that will not allow a 'normal' ej 22 converter to seat. (two trips to Hayden Idaho, 450+ miles and about $160 in gas) they took one look at it and said 'no way in hades is that ever going to work'

My GF got sent to a foreign engine place by the torque converter shop and they happily gave her the wrong plate for free. This one is an ej25 plate that is too large. What kind of blows my mind about that is they had the torque converter and the broken plate to match it too and still gave her the wrong one??? The guy laid them back to back on the counter and thought they matched??? Wow. At least they were trying to help her out and it was a gift.

Up north Pul -n -Save has many many potential transmissions, all for $55 dollars, all with a trillion miles on them. Spalding has nothing listed, Central Grade has one about 57 miles away but does not know the mileage and is selling it as a 'core' only... CL has more JDM transmissions listed ( I bought it for a project and then sold the car, lol), then there is the guy 17 miles away who seems to think his 4eat with 60k is worth $1700!!! I posted that under 'gold plated transmission with diamond gears' on the CL sightings

Yeah, sooooo.... I have learned a lot. I see why people go the JDM route, the price is right, but it can make a helluva mess.

Ivan says he looked at all his plates and found the only one that measures 290mm from bolt center to bolt center at the torque converter attach points are the early 90's turbo Legacy transmissions. He said it's a dead on match, 92 Legacy Turbo drive plate is 305mm across, with the right bolt holes.

I can buy one of those new from Subaru for $48 plus shipping. But at this point I am still flogging the bushes for a low mileage 'correct' transmission at a reasonable price I'm not doing a restoration, but if I can get rid of that JDM torque binding, VSS error high mileage why-does-this-thing-surge-forward-after-you-shut-the-engine-off piece of crap I'd go for it.

• 1 month later...