Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK.. The vehicle I'm looking at is in Ohio..idk where a mechanic is..let's say I get it and its lose.. What dies that mean..need a new one? And do u know what the ruff cost of a timing belt change is?

under $200 for parts - labor is the one that will get you if you dont do things yourself, and that is going to vary depending on local shop rates.

well - if you tell the owner you want a pre-purchase inspection, if the mech. finds more work than the owner wants to drop the price buy - you keep shopping and kiss you $100 - $150 w'ever you paid the mechanic goodbye. BUT - you might avoid a $3000 repair bill.

ask for a shop recommendation near the city in Ohio in a new thread. maybe someone will know of one, or, take it to a dealer for inspection.

you can find a lot of help on-line in the form os step-by-step pics and even videos of how to do timing belts. I'm about to try my first one next month after getting a lot of support from folks on the Forums and buying a kit from ebay. But, at 200K miles, you'd probably want to do cam/crank seals, waterpump, re-seal the oil pump, etc. - stuff I'm skipping this time.

bottom line - don't pay top-dollar for a car with; blown turbo, blown engine,blown trans or blown AWD. Other stuff can be fixed and you expect a used car to have some 'issues'. For certain, if the struts are original, they're bad at this mileage. Could need brake attention, might have split axle boots, maybe need some bushings here/there, etc.

a written pre-purchase inspection gives you some negotiating ammo, and it might help you avoid a big headache.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

If it's at a dealership in another State, even negotiating for some kind of limited warranty may not be of any practical value.

The good news is, dealerships often only keep the better trade-ins and send the worst to the auction house.

bad news is, they usually want a lot more money than a private seller.

hope it works out.