Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 93 legacy dash air bag light has been on for the last 4 months. I'm worried that I may fail my NY state inspection due this month. Someone said thay may fail me because it's a safety thing. What do I check? and short of pulling the bulb, what can I try. Thanks

Don't mean to sound dumb but....

The state inspection is the least of your worries. Something is not right with the system and disabling the bulb is not going to fix anything.

I have heard of this happening and after being checked for a code, it is many times a very simple and inexpensive fix rather than some mega $$$ bill just because the airbags are involved.

I am sure someone around here has been thru this with their legacy???

You may just need to get your airbag inspected. Was it every 10 years that you are supposed to take it in to the Subaru Dealership and have them do an inspection on it?

Maybe its just a reminder light to tell you to take it in. BUUUTTT don't assume it is that!

My 2003 Forester has just had the airbag light come on for the 4th time. They have replaced one of my airbags, the module, fit it with a wiring kit from the factory bulliten and now AGAIN I have an airbag light on and and dealership can't figure out what in the hades is going on.

I've gone through the whole airbag system in it. But why risk the stinky thing poppin out at ya for no reason. Take it in even though taking out the bulb would be the easiest thing to do (though not the thing that is sensible)

hehehehe (believe me... I"m thinkin about doin the same thing- the important part here is, that I'm not.)

You might just want to call up the DMV or an inspection station and see if it is required for your state inspection. I have a different car with the airbag light on as well, and I've gone through 3 years of state inspections (not NY) without a problem.

Airbags are not a requirement so I wouldn't think that you would fail the inspection just because yours are not working.

The question about whether it is safe or not is another issue....

A lot of stuff will pass inspections. I have a couple of cracks and divots in my windshield, but when I inquired about inspection, they said it was only a problem if it causes your windshield wiper blades to wear quickly.

If you reset the codes by taking out the battery for a minute or so does that do the trick?

no that wont work.

3ohm resistor - plug into airbag harness connector

light goes off.

makes it think everything is okay. even when it's not quite right.

Jamie