Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale Battled a Camry :(

The only parts I still need to take off are the hood and bumper. I'm planning to cut the bumper off on the driver side then use the come along to pull it back. Then take off the hood and remove the bolts for the bumper. I already took the fender off. Other than that, I just need to swap the radiator I think.

Hopefully it will pull out without some major persuasion. If you have trouble with it wanting to spring back when pulling it out, tap the creased area and just around it with a hammer, it relieves the built up residual stress. You don't want to beat the snot out of it though.

Edited by stratman977

I'm planning to (now that I have it reshaped) take out the broken parts and check the rest, then pick up the new stuff and put it all in.

Does anyone know if there is a way to improve impact resistance in that rail? Now that its been damaged, if anything else happens, it will just crumple again. I'm thinking about getting like flat steel bar and lining the rail with it, or filling the area behind the bumper and in front of the tire with a Styrofoam block. That won't do a lot, but it could help a little.

Word of advice, you need to have the new parts (fender, hood, bumper, headlight, etc) on hand before you can consider all the straightening work done. You're not going to know if you're done straightening things out until you can test fit those parts to see how well they all fit together.

After that's settled I'd concentrate on mechanical bits.

I'm keep in the current fender and hood for now, and the bumper probably forever.I can straighten the arm and get a new cover easier than removing it. I'm already planning to attach the headlamp mostly with MacGyver type skills. Right now I'm focusing on function over appearance and I'll improve her appearance as I go.

Ah, noted. In the meantime you should post a wanted ad in the classifieds section for the body parts you need. I got a hood, bumper, fender, headlight, valence, and the thin trim above the bumper all for 100 dollars at a junkyard. Somebody local have a parts car that they'd let the parts go even cheaper. Best of luck!

Maybe the studs that go into the water pump are bent? In that case big honking pry bar should do it.

What do you mean by the pulleys shifted? Are they out of alignment? The sahft in the water pump might have pressed in and needs pushed back out. If the water pump took a hit I'd change it since it's cheap and a pretty critical component for not breaking down on the side of the road.

• Like 1

One step further today. I officially have all the new parts. But we couldn't get the water pump off?

It looks like the plastic cover for the timing belts is covering the bolts for the water pump. It got dark and we had to call it a day. Does anyone have any tips?

To replace the water pump, you have to remove the plastic covers and the timing belts.  I would replace the pump also.  If stuff got hit that hard, and the fan won't come off, something's messed up with it.  Who knows if the seals and or bearings are still good.

I just looked at one of my spare engines.  You might be able to do it without removing them - But you have to remove the idler / tensioner for the belt that goes under the pump.  If you put the engine in the position for installing that belt before you loosen it, and pop it off the pulley, you should be able to get it back on correctly.  I just never bothered, having done the belts countless times, it doesn't bother me.  How many miles are on them?