Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale Battled a Camry :(

Well. I got everything in and started it up yesterday. It was fantastic. For about 30 seconds and then it shut off and became clear we'd missed a hose for the radiator. Transmission fluids poured out and we're back to the drawing board.

I ended up having to get to work, but it seems like as soon as I get it properly hooked up, it'll run.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my water pump has a bad seal, I guess. Its leaking and not from the weep hole. Unfortunately, I'm also running HOT. Its only 30ish degrees and the 10 minute drive to work almost overheats my car. I'm not sure if this is because the water pump is leaking or because I ended up taking the pump fan out to accommodate the radiator. I'm hoping that once the seal is fixed it won't overheat, but does anyone have any cooling suggestions since I had to remove that fan? The electric one is still in but it doesn't seem to be enough.

Doubt it's because of removing the other fan. As i mentioned i have two of these cars and both have that fan removed. Neither ever over heat. Are you sure the electric fan is coming on at all?

Also, the water pump sometimes leaks at the pipe fitting. Make sure that pipe is seated right and maybe put new o ring. Look there though, that might be where it's leaking from.

I'm sure the electric one comes on sometimes, cuz the temp will drop back down sometimes but not always. I haven't put my new thermostat in yet, so maybe this one is bad and that's why the fan isn't coming on. I saw that it'll run constantly if my ac is on, but I don't have any freon now.

I've not seen the fan / lack of fan cause overheat.  More than just a few bubbles of air in the cooling system will cause overheat.  And in my experience, this means head gasket replacement.  Sometimes very soon, sometimes in months.

You might be able to limp it along for a bit by modding the radiator cap so the system cannot pressurize.  A small piece of solid copper wire wrapped around the little valve in the cap does that.  As long as you are not in desert temperatures, it should be ok.  I've run them that way for quite a while without trouble.  What it does is make whatever leak you have loose less coolant per minute,  so enough may stay in to drive the car without overheating it.  I managed to drive one of mine with a cracked head for months this way, while I rebuilt another engine for it.  Eventually, the crack got bad enough so a bottle of water would drip through the crack while sitting in the parking lot in about 6 hours.  I just had to add water all the time.

change the Thermostat, fix the waterpump, make sure you burp your system and get all air out, refill, connect old fan to ignition power so when your key is on your fan is on, no matter what, (bypass thermo switch) .... last, add another cheap 12inch or so electric fan where your old clutch fan was and hook up a toggle switch so when its hot out you can turn it on for extra cooling POWA!!!

I ALWAYS remove that belt driven fan on ALL my cars and replace with electric. even with one fan it should be ok.

fix that WP issue and TS issue.

• 1 month later...

I haven't updated in a bit, but I got her going and got everything fixed. The check engine light was on but I'm not sure why. I even did a voluntary emissions check and passed so I'm just gonna disconnect the light.

But the red loctite I used to hold my crank shaft bolt right has given up and backed out.

Uuuuggggghhhhhhh

I guess I'll get it properly torqued this time.