Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Want to get a better subaru, looking for tips

Hey guys, I'm Logan and I'm new to these forums. I'm looking for some advice here. I have a 2000 Subaru Forester S, it has over 245,000 miles on it, and it is in drive-able condition with a new inspection. I slid off the road last winter during a snowstorm and bent the axle on a tree stump in a ditch. Everything that is going wrong with the car seems to be because of the bent axle save for the engine and transmission, my brakes go bad in a hurry, my lugs like to loosen on my back right tire, it shakes and now struggles on hills. Basically I can continue to pump money into to keep it until it finally dies completely, or get a a new Subaru, because I am a pretty big fan of the brand and don't want any other type of car, it has to be a Subaru. 

My question is, what kind of Subaru would you recommend for me? I'll give you some information to help you guys help me, because I am fairly new to car buying, and the old Su that I drive now is the only car I have ever owned, two years now. I live in Lancaster County PA. Real country stuff, with tough and snowy winters, rainy fall and spring, and warm summers. I tend to keep my car off the highway, not just because it is old but because I find the highway boring and uneventful. I stick to mainly back roads, some with a lot of dirt and gravel, and the roads near where I live are similar to what you may find on a rally track. The main roads around here pretty garbage, with potholes and uneven pavement everywhere. So either way, I am driving on roads in bad condition, or fun roads with gravel and dirt and a lot of corners. I like to drive on these types of roads with a little momentum, occasionally I like to slide around corners and go fast when traffic is light or non existent. Basically, I want an older model Subaru without all the computer gimmicks and governing systems, and I want to really get the most out of the fun driving experience. What would you recommend? I do think I want to take a break from the Foresters, unless you guys think they are worth sticking to. What year did the electronics start being implemented on the Subaru's, and what models are good for my style and location of driving? Also, I am not made of money, I do have a decent steady job, as well as a wife and two kids. I have a company vehicle for work commute, so the car needs to be family friendly but also fun for us adults to drive. Thanks.  

Edited by ltsnyder

Foresters are great cars and nothing to shy away from. I would check and see if you have a bent control arm and replace your axle or whatever else is bent up front. Pretty easy to work on if it's not all rusted out. There's a great junkyard in New Ringgold - EZ pull and save that should have the parts cheap. Then at least you wont be wearing things out on that side and will have a better car to stick with or can get a better price if you sell it. 245,000 is no big deal for these cars if they are treated well. My wife and I sold our 2000 Outback this summer (Which is mechanically the same engine and transmission etc. as your forester. It had 351,000 on it and is still going strong.

If you're wanting a smoother ride, and still good capability for PA snowstorms and potholes, the Legacy or Legacy Outback is tough to beat. If you're not mechanically inclined, avoid the 96-99 2.5 motors since they had lots of trouble with the head gaskets. The 2000-2004 Outbacks were good. The Legacy (non outback or GT) can be lifted by installing stock struts/springs from an outback or Forester. Which gives you the more reliable 2.2 motor and the ground clearance of the outback.

If you are willing to turn a wrench and want to save money. Buy a 96-99 with bad head gaskets and swap a 2.2 motor in. It bolts right in and is the most reliable motor subaru ever made. You'd also have the best of both worlds with that setup.

Nothing wrong with the Impreza and 80s models either. 80s cars just tend to be very rusty in the east. if you find a non rusted one though, they are very reliable and very easy to work on. Imprezas are smaller, sportier and handle well. Not quite the smooth ride of a legacy or outback.

Apart from the SVX or Justy, you can't go wrong with a well maintained Subaru. (And even those cars weren't bad. Just not as bulletproof as the rest of the Subaru lineup.) All the models were reliable. It comes down to your preference.

Hey, thanks for the thorough response! As far as repairing my Forester, I most likely will either way, like you said if I sell it I should at least put the work and money in to make the resale value the best it can be. We have a guy who owns a business near where I live, he strictly works on an sells Subarus, so I think I'm going to have a discussion with him. 

As far as being mechanically inclined, you can say I am a noob. I do understand how a car works, and I can usually pinpoint a problem on my own, however tearing my car apart worries me because I have never actually done that before. I have access to help, but it is also currently the only vehicle I have so I cannot afford to take it off the road.

I think I may go with an older Legacy once I am ready to switch out my car. I like the idea of being able to lift it, and where I live smoother ride is more important than being able to go fast. It's tough to go fast on a road riddled with potholes and buggy ruts. The smoother the ride the more control I feel that I have. I also would like to have the option of modifying my car to go a little faster and have better overall performance, and I would think that is probably easier on 2000-2005 models, or older. I just don't think a brand new Subaru is going to have quite as many options for upgrades, at least without some kind of expensive chip or something. I'm not trying to race anyone (yet) but I want to get the feel of rally style driving, because once I can afford it I would like to get into it, I just cannot afford a WRX right now, and I don't know if they are very family friendly either. I guess you can say I'm looking for a reliable family car that I can upgrade it and make it a little more like a rally car. (I do plan on getting a second vehicle as well, I don't plan on wrecking my only car).

Sounds like a solid plan. The 1990-1996 2.2 Legacy motors were non interference. 96 (and maybe 95s as well) was the ideal setup. It was a newer body style and the computer was OBDII (Easier diagnostics and such for check engine light) And still non interference motors.

97+ became interference which doesn't matter much if the timing belt gets changed on time and done right.

lug nuts loosening and front axle/control arm bending are really easy repairs if someone who knows what they're doing does it right.

get used parts from www.car-part.com or Harry's in PA.

1990-1994 impreza or legacy's are hands down the best in terms of reliability and inexpensive high miles.  problem is they're not easy to find in the rust belt in good condition.

1995-1998's with the EJ22 are nearly as good.

2.5 liter engines have significant headgasket issues - and many with  issues hit the used market so it's buyer-beware.

1996-1998 (& 1999 Legacy/OBW) Ej25's are subaru's worst engine, i'd avoid those.

they all have "electronics" - so you'll have to define what you mean by that.  carbureted subaru's were done in the 1980's but if you're a noob to carbs you don't want those high maintenance finnicky junk anyway.

yes, i didn't specify what i meant. i heard that the newer cars have governors limiting the power when the wheels are not straight, and governors overall. I want to be in full control of the car and what it does, without some governing system taking the power away from the throttle if i choose to hit a corner faster than recommended. it may sound silly but i don't want my car to drive itself, yaknow?

I'm actually starting to think a pre 2005 wrx wagon may be more in line for what im looking for, space for the kids, and when it's just me I can have a lot of fun in it. What do you guys think?

Edited by ltsnyder

We picked up our 2005 Outback Sport for a reasonable price. The N/A EJ25 still has enough power to get around and is still a simple engine to work on. I believe there were fewer (although still some) headgasket issues starting in 2004- 2005 than in 2002- 2003. I know what you mean about the newer ones being way too complicated. The electronics on our new 2014 Impreza kind of scare me. 

if you have kids i'd get the larger outback wagon.  usually you need more room as family needs grow, not less.  most people buy a car for their needs "right now" and then need something else soon.  if you want a car to last 5-10 years and have kids - get big now.

you don't have to worry about controlling itself.  the VDC models are only H6's in 2001-2004 and you can easily disable it - just push the button or pull the fuse for the system.  no big deal.

4 cylinder and 2004 or earlier don't have the Vehicle Dynamic Control.

Forget what models had VDC in 2005+ as they started i think eventually adding it to other vehicles but nonetheless i would assume you can still pull a fuse or sensor or disconnect the computer if it doesn't hose the CANBUS.

Sounds like a solid plan. The 1990-1996 2.2 Legacy motors were non interference. 96 (and maybe 95s as well) was the ideal setup. It was a newer body style and the computer was OBDII (Easier diagnostics and such for check engine light) And still non interference motors.

My 95 EJ22 is definitely OBDII, non interference and the ideal setup! (or will be once I swap in some Outback struts)

I haven't been to any salvage yards in PA, but I do see some posts from southern PA trickle into the DC Craigslist.  Around here, there are tons of older 95-99 Legacy wagons making it into the salvage yards (and for sale) so parts are plentiful.  I only very occasionally see a 90-94 Legacy.

Used to live in Southeast PA. Got a few choices if you're willing to drive around.

BIG U-Pull-its are E-Z Pull & Save in New Ringgold and Harry's U-pull-it in Hazleton

Medium are Harrys Allentown and Pennsburg locations and A-Z U Pull it in Hamburg.

Subies are popular in the Philly area and most of south and east PA, so there should be some cars being parted on craigslist regularly.