Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TD04 damage - `04 Forester XT

Hi All,

So I just picked up a 2004 Forester XT that had a new TD04 turbo installed about eight months ago (original one died a horrible death). Maintenance history was spotty at best and this was a bit of a gamble. When my mechanic was installing a new Grimmspeed up-pipe, he noticed that the fins on the inlet side of the turbo was damaged.

http--,,--//TD04Damage_zps5364eb2f.jpg

There was no debris in the inlet pipe or the intercooler. The cat in the OEM up-pipe was still intact, when he pulled the filter screens from the banjo bolts, they seemed fine. So, my question is, what could possible cause this damage? The turbo does look new, and there was no play in the shaft at all. I just want to solve the underlying issue before installing a replacement turbo. It looks to me that foreign debris got sucked into the turbo, but how would it get pass the air filter?  :(

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks...

You see this from time to time on rebuilds. Doesn't hurt anything as long as it's still in balance, but those edges do look pretty rough.

Well, the previous owner gave me the invoice for the work that was done, and they were charged for a brand new turbo, not a rebuild. But who knows what the shop really did. Wouldn`t the blades keep deteriorating and possibly damage the turbo more?