Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fronet fender/fascia fastener

Some ungracious person in a public parking lot let us an anonomyous love tap. None to serious if I can just figure out how to get to it.

From what I can see craining my neck around under the car and the hood, it's a simple case of TAB A into SLOT B, assuming that there is a tap on the fender merge. If so easy enough to slip in, and from what I can see in the fender it's a light gage metal strap behind the plastic fasia, shoul be able to muscle it back into shape ... problem is, how to get in there.

Any ideas?

ps: I have no idea why my pic posted upsidedown, maybe someone in Australia can help me.

post-716-0-66509300-1411260102_thumb.jpg

Its hard to be specific when we don't know what year or model of car, and the picture is not upright.

I've done many bumper cover removals and replacements, so the best I can do is give you a generic answer.

In behind the inner fender liner and just forward of the seam between the bumper cover and the fender will be a screw or a 10 mm bolt that can be removed. All other fasteners are plastic plugs or bolts along the top of the bumper cover just behind the grill between the headlights, and along the entire bottom of the bumper cover from one side to the other.

The only other fasteners are usually plastic grippers molded into the bumper cover itself, and they are just under the headlight and along the seam between the side marker lights. They are just a press in fit, and once all those other plugs/bolts and the one screw/bolt at the wheel well are removed, the bumper cover pulls away sideways from the wheel wells and straight forward off the car.

If your grippers (what else to call them?) are dislodged (as it appears in the photo) you should be able to just push the bumper cover back into place with your hand. If the grip fastener on the fender doesn't hold it in place, remove the inner fender cover to get access, or pull the headlight assembly from the car to get at the seam. Yes, the air intake and some other things will have to be yanked to get the area you need to access.

None of that is hard, just time consumming. Should you decide to completely remove the bumper cover, just before you get it clear of the front of the car, reach in underneath and unclip the fog light wiring. Good Luck!

Pull the wheel well liner out and you'll be able to get in there to the attaching mechanism. On the older cars there were bolts or screws there. Newer stuff has plastic latch-tab things that require you to slide this way, hold your mouth just right and stick out your tongue and it will pop loose.

I don't know specifically what a Legacy of that year has, but it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out once the liner is out of the way.