Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Buying help please- 2002 Subaru Outback MY02 All Wheel Drive

Hey all,

Firstly, excuse me if this is not in the right section. 

Im looking at buying my first car and have came across a nice looking deal. 

The details are below;

2002 Subaru Outback MY02 All Wheel Drive

• 8months rego
  • Full service history
  • 1 owner
  • 146,000 km 

$8,500 drive away

I literally know nothing about cars, what would be some good questions to ask the dealer as well as some important things to look at about the car? i'm yet to take it for a test drive. 

Thanks hjrw :)

Edited by hjrw

These outbacks are very dependable cars. As with any car you want to inspect for rust, signs of neglect, leaks, overheating etc.

The specific things to these cars would be

Head gaskets - they were a common fail point on these motors and while not the end of the world as fixes go, it's not a cheap or easy repair. See if they have been done already. if so, it's a big plus for the car. if not, or unsure, it may need them in the near future. Look under the motor for oil leaking from the seams of the heads (One either side of the oil pan)

Timing belt - these are interference engines. If the timing belt goes, valves get damaged and you have an expensive fix. Timing belt is due at 110,000 miles or equivalent in km. Again, it's a plus if it's been done. If it has not, it is a negotiation point between you and the dealer. if unsure, you can get an idea by pulling off the driver's side timing cover and inspecting the belt itself. (This is no assurance that it has been done, but a belt showing cracks/wear is a sign that it is needed SOON.

Torque Bind - When test driving, be sure to take some slow tight turns and feel for lurching and hesitation to indicate torque bind. The AWD system can have issues if it's run with mismatched, under-inflated tires etc. Fixable, but something to be aware of.

Do a thorough inspection. Always helps to have a mechanic or someone else knowledgeable give it a once over to give a second opinion.