Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sound and temperature insulation for wagon.

Since Betty White the Loyale is going to become my home away from home this winter I need to figure out how to make it a little more cozy. The wagon will become a two seater with a permanent 'bed' in the back. The mattress will not be permanent but the seats will be gone and replaced with a sheet of plywood and storage underneath. 

I would like to insulate it for sound, cold and if I could get some padding out of it that would be great. I will be insulating behind the panels with Roxul (mold resistant bats of fibreglass insulation). The footwells, seat area and back section of the wagon need something. Dynamat would take car of sound but not the cold or give any padding. Dynamat and Roxul could work but I worry about the Roxul holding water from gear, etc.

Is there a thicker dynamat type product that has any sort of insulating value? Any ideas.

I would suggest foamular panels anywhere they are easy to install, expecially the floor if you are doing plywood. I did a hardwood floor in mine with bamboo using a plywood.

You could probably do the 1/4" fanfold foamular to make contours such as inside the door and the rear quarters, layer them onto eachother to build unsulation. Use the thick boards for the roof and the floor. Use 3m spray adhesive or liquid nails project glue.

• Like 1

There are specialty carpet padding that are multi-purpose..  Check amazon I think Rammat makes some as well as Stinger.. It is more for sound but since it is a underlayment it should also work well for heat retention. Stinger might be on amazon but most likely one of a few audio shops online. sonic electronics, woofersetc, onlinecarstereo.com and Parts express. Should get you started

• Like 1