Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking at buying/engine options -- guru advice...?

So, I have 3 wagons that are options for purchase. I've searched and searched and can't seem to come up with a clear winner. So, I throw this out to the gurus hoping for some advice:

1996 Legacy. 2.2L, 124k miles -- $3,999 (overpriced, older, does not have the clearance of an outback, but has the bombproof 2.2l engine

and is in great shape. My current 1996 has gone to 260k, but looks like it has transmission issues...)

2003 Outback H6, 67K miles -- $8775 (From what I've read, this is a bomb-proof engine too with no timing belt to replace. Way

low miles for the year, but still a lot of money in my world. Also in great shape.)

2004 Outback 2.5l, 124k miles -- $5400 (I this far enough into the better head gasket years to make it a good bet? Price/miles/year

is attractive. Very good shape.)

So... if anyone wants to weigh in, I'd really appreciate it. I'm over thinking this and need some good, old fashioned USMB support.

Thanks,

-Ben

Edited by bendecker

I'd go with the '96 IMHO. 

The H6 is not bomb proof!  IF all the oil changes have been done religiously, it "may" be a good buy, but...

The '03 Outback has head gasket issues.  They still do.  We use only turbo head gaskets on those SOHC engines because the stock ones are such garbage!

Emily

ccrengines.com

• Like 1

I'd go with the '96 IMHO.

2.2L non-interference engine.

the price is high, imho.

but depending on who the seller is,

maybe you can get it for $3k.

but even at $4k,

if you drive it 40k miles, this is a no brainer, it will pay off. (10 cents a mile)

if you drive it 80k miles, very, very, likely, GREAT. (5 cents a mile)

and if you drive it 120k miles, highly probable, (3.33 cents a mile)

you will be glad you bought it.

how many miles do you drive a year.?

the same can be said for the other cars,

but the 96 has a better chance of going 150k without a bad head gasket, bad rod bearing, or timing belt failure.

but why not repair the 96 you have if money is an issue?

used trans , shop installed $1000 - $1500.

you would only have to drive that 15k miles to pay for the repair. (10 cents a mile)

Thank you for the quick replies.

Emily -- hearing from you carries a ton of weight around here. That and John's thoughts sealed the deal. We are going to look at the '96 this afternoon as a family. It's from a "real" car dealer (as opposed to a corner-lot guy) and they have said that the price is 100% firm. We'll see, but I am not hopeful.

John -- I agree completely about repairing our other '96, but that is not in the immediate cards. We are going to set it aside until I have the time to deal with it. I have a daughter that is learning to drive, this will end up being her car, and we need something reliable ASAP. Unfortunately, our '96 acting up so badly that it needs to be put on hold. So... I'll collect Subarus for a while and most likely get a used tranny for it.

BTW, the way you analyze cost the cost per mile is exactly the same thing I do. When buying a new car, I figure it will make it to 200k miles. I calculate the cost per mile to get there. Anything after that is gravy. Of course, being newer, having better features, and getting an OK from the family all factor into it. But, it all starts with cost per mile.

Thanks, again,

-Ben

Edited by bendecker